Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store card suggestions.

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Store card suggestions.

@marty56 wrote:

Sams Club, Walmart, BML, and if you like toys - Newegg.

Newegg does not report, so It is not useful for rebuilding.   However, they have generous CL, and deffered interest deals all the time.

Message 11 of 17
payingoffdebt001
Frequent Contributor

The GE cards are easier and they pull Transunion.  I got a Walmart card with a 620 score. 

Others mentioned Lowes and Kay's Jewelers but my scores or something in my report didnt make the cut and I was denied. 

Message 12 of 17
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@OhioCPA wrote:

I haven't heard them mentioned for a long time but Jared/Kay store cards appear fairly easy to obtained. I saw one score quoted at 605. They seem to give decent limits as well.

I was approved for a Kay card in Dec of 2010 with scores in the 590-600 range. They gave me a $5100 CL, which floored me!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

macy's give you 20% most purchases on certain times if you use their card

jewelers give you accounts that report with 10% or 20% down

sears used to be the hardest to get

not sure now if that's still true

JCPenney used to be easy to get

saks is capital 1 now

walmart I think is tough

so department stores and jewelers are easier

then chains like walmart and target

good luck

Message 14 of 17
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

I haven't heard them mentioned for a long time but Jared/Kay store cards appear fairly easy to obtained. I saw one score quoted at 605. They seem to give decent limits as well.

I was approved for a Kay card in Dec of 2010 with scores in the 590-600 range. They gave me a $5100 CL, which floored me!

Store cards are generally easier to obtain than major credit cards due to the fact that the store cards are more profitable. The store not only makes more on the interest rate charged they also generate increase sales and the related profit. The margin for jewelry is much higher than most merchandise in say a Lowes store or Best Buy. Thus, a jewelry store such as Kay's can afford to take more risk with granting large CL's.

While a Kay's card might not help overall FICO scores as much as say a secured card from a major bank, it can be an effective addition to someone building or rebuilding their credit file.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You sound like a CMA or CPA  Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 17
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

When I was in my rebuilding phase, I got a Kays Jewelers card very easily.  They started me out with a $3600 CL then increased it to $8200 after my second or third purchase, which was about two years after I got the card.  I live in SC where Belk, a department store, is popular and got a $200 CL easily with them.  They have great deals on customer appreciation days, which they do several times a year.  I also got a Macy's card easily with a $200 CL.  I hardly use that card and there is no store close to me.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.