Regular Contributor
boireann

Store card to improve my credit mix.

Right now I have a very thin file.   One personal loan in good standing, and one closed student loan in good standing.  I also only have one credit card that's also in good standing.    My AAoA is 5.5 years.  I'm looking for a store card to improve my mix of credit.

The only bad thing on my reports is a very old paid collection that's listing themselves as an account with 120 days late.

What are my chances with Macy's or Nordstrom's?  Those are about the only store cards I can see myself actually using occasionally.  I'd be okay with an inq hit for either of these two, but only if my chances of getting approved were 99%.  I just hate having to potentially waste an inquiry on the unknown.

Suggestions?  Opinions? 

thanks!

01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Re: Store card to improve my credit mix.

boireann wrote:

Right now I have a very thin file.   One personal loan in good standing, and one closed student loan in good standing.  I also only have one credit card that's also in good standing.    My AAoA is 5.5 years.  I'm looking for a store card to improve my mix of credit.

The only bad thing on my reports is a very old paid collection that's listing themselves as an account with 120 days late.

What are my chances with Macy's or Nordstrom's?  Those are about the only store cards I can see myself actually using occasionally.  I'd be okay with an inq hit for either of these two, but only if my chances of getting approved were 99%.  I just hate having to potentially waste an inquiry on the unknown.

Suggestions?  Opinions? 

thanks!

If I remember your scores correctly Macy's will work for you. Must app in-store. Do not app on-line. Your card is permanently branded and degraded if you do!

Regular Contributor
boireann

Can you tell how much I dread getting a decline on anything?    Declines are so crushing after all the work I've put in to my reports!
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

boireann wrote:
Can you tell how much I dread getting a decline on anything?    Declines are so crushing after all the work I've put in to my reports!

None of us like being denied. Fortunately I have steered clear of that. But it will happen sooner or later.

If you are going to app Macy's just don't do it online.

New Contributor
Safe4Me2

"If you are going to app Macy's just don't do it online."

Why not apply online.?

New Contributor
Safe4Me2

Permanently branded and degraded?!?! Uh-oh.
Frequent Contributor
going2tdc

I apped online, had the card for 1 year and went from $300 to $2400.

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

boireann wrote:

None of us like being denied. Fortunately I have steered clear of that. But it will happen sooner or later.

Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

going2tdc wrote:
I apped online, had the card for 1 year and went from $300 to $2400.

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

boireann wrote:

Good for you!

According to a Macy's insider who posts elsewhere, if you app online your account is permanently branded and you will never get a Macy's Visa. There are other drawbacks as well. He should know, he works there. If your thinking about a Macy's card go to the store to get it! If you already have one there is nothing you can do about it.

Recent exchange:

Q: What was the largest store account GLI you ever saw?

A: Macy's store account, $60,000

Q: What was the largest Visa account CL you ever saw?

A: Bloomingdale's Visa, $100,000

Valued Contributor
debtisgood

I applied online and I have always received generous GLI, and I don't care about the Macy's Visa. In my opinion, it isn't a great credit card. The Macy's store card is one of the top store cards for their generous lines and good store perks. I understand others may care about the Macy's Visa, I have just never seen the big deal about it.
Regular Contributor
boireann

I'm definitely looking for more of a store card for the mix.

Very interesting that Macy's brands you if you app online.  I wonder if Nordstrom's or others do this as well?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}