Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store card vs regular card, Fleet Farm

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store card vs regular card, Fleet Farm

Hey folks..
I have a Fleet Farm Visa currently.. They offer a store card as well as a Visa that can be used anywhere Visas are accepted. Mine is the latter with a $9,500 limit. It offers 4% back in the form of gift card, including on fuel purchases. Initially, I got it mostly for fuel. They offer ethanol free in mid grade for toys (all others in area only sell ethanol free in premium) AND I live nearby.. I also shop there somewhat frequently.. But, Costco sells fuel for 25 cents a gallon cheaper and I recently got their citi card that also gives 4% back.

I really don't need the Fleet Farm card any more. BUT does this appear as some other type of credit/tradeline on my reports? I understand you should try to have different types of credit. Is this technically a store card and would it report any differently then the rest?

If not, any reason not to cancel it and just consolidate what I have? Thanks for any insight in advance.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store card vs regular card, Fleet Farm

Should also note that it offers 0% for 6 months on any purchase over $200. May be worth hanging onto just for that... as they carry everything from home improvement to tires..and you never know when you might be in a bind I suppose.
Message 2 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

In terms of reporting, this is a credit card on a major payment network, so it should report like any of your other major credit cards.   As for what to do with the account, if it's not longer of use, you'll hear a variety of responses.   If you no longer want to maintain the account and prefer to keep things simple, you may want to close it. 

Personally, I think you should SD it.   For scoring purposes, at least half of your credit cards should have a zero balance.   You can always use it on occasional purchases that may require the special financing.  And the effective 4% rewards in-store may exceed other products you could use in-store.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I really don't need the Fleet Farm card any more. BUT does this appear as some other type of credit/tradeline on my reports? I understand you should try to have different types of credit. Is this technically a store card and would it report any differently then the rest?

Nope.  It's a revolving account.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer that its not considered some other form of credit... Thanks for the info from both of you... I guess I'll hang onto it for now..give it some time and see if I find it worth holding onto. I suppose theres really no downside to keeping it.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.