Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cards, high CLs, unusual conversations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store cards, high CLs, unusual conversations

Maybe the credit software was just written to not unnecessarily exclude any creditworthy customer who genuinely wanted to make a very large transaction.

It would make sense if the recent AA is from humans combing through the system for the clowns who want credit for the sake of credit, rather than actual major customers.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never understood $25K CL on a Walmart card, when for me, between $3-5K would be more than sufficient.  A limit like that would be good for a low interest bank card, and used for emergency purposes (plane trip, car problems, medical emergency, etc).  Even $10k on a Walmart card would be pushing it. 

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They helped me get to the quarter million dollar club. Smiley Happy  I'll be honest, and since I'm not a politician......I have such padding to help my utilization. You can take that to the bank! Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never understood $25K CL on a Walmart card, when for me, between $3-5K would be more than sufficient. 

"For me" != "for everyone".  I can't even see having a Walmart card to begin with.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jim44 wrote:

@SpiceIslander wrote:

I don't have an answer to your question but want to share my experience with store cards.

@I used to have two store cards, Sam's Club @ 3000.00 & Sears @ 900.00 CLs. Sam's started at 3000.00 about 25 years ago. Sears was initially at 800.00. I've never asked for an increase on Sam's but a few years ago, I needed a new appliances and wanted to get them from Sears, just to use the card and because they had 6 months SAC. I requested a CLI and they increased it by 100.00, bringing the CL to 900.00!!!. I went to Lowes and applied, got my appliances, along with a very nice CL. I paid off the balance before the 18 months promo ran out.

It annoys me that I took the HP for 100.00 increase but in the end it worked out. Sears lost & I won. I will never request another CLI on that card but I do use it fairly regularly. The CL is quite adequate for the small charges I put through it. When I have big spending, I'll go to Lowes.

YMMV with every card.  Maybe in your case because Sears is backed by Citi and Lowes Synchrony?  I had a JC Penneys card from 1994 and they never granted an auto CLI. It seemed like every othe card was. When I did ask, my CL was increased by $200 to a whopping $700.

Now just don't go crazy in the sock section!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jim44 wrote:

@SpiceIslander wrote:

I don't have an answer to your question but want to share my experience with store cards.

@I used to have two store cards, Sam's Club @ 3000.00 & Sears @ 900.00 CLs. Sam's started at 3000.00 about 25 years ago. Sears was initially at 800.00. I've never asked for an increase on Sam's but a few years ago, I needed a new appliances and wanted to get them from Sears, just to use the card and because they had 6 months SAC. I requested a CLI and they increased it by 100.00, bringing the CL to 900.00!!!. I went to Lowes and applied, got my appliances, along with a very nice CL. I paid off the balance before the 18 months promo ran out.

It annoys me that I took the HP for 100.00 increase but in the end it worked out. Sears lost & I won. I will never request another CLI on that card but I do use it fairly regularly. The CL is quite adequate for the small charges I put through it. When I have big spending, I'll go to Lowes.

YMMV with every card.  Maybe in your case because Sears is backed by Citi and Lowes Synchrony?  I had a JC Penneys card from 1994 and they never granted an auto CLI. It seemed like every othe card was. When I did ask, my CL was increased by $200 to a whopping $700.

Now just don't go crazy in the sock section!   Smiley Very Happy

I took my Brooks Brothers card out my "sock drawer" (a bedside organizer)...to buy socks (and save $20 on them).

So even when I use it, it's a sock drawer card!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.