Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cards vs. credit cards

tag
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Store cards vs. credit cards

Do credit card companies look at it as a bad thing if you have a lot as in 5+ store cards or do they not take that in to consideration when you apply for big branded cards as in chase amex discover etc. I'd like to know because I currently have 7 store cards and 3 regular cards and in 6 months or so I was wanting to get a chase or another card any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Store cards vs. credit cards

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

Do credit card companies look at it as a bad thing if you have a lot as in 5+ store cards or do they not take that in to consideration when you apply for big branded cards as in chase amex discover etc. I'd like to know because I currently have 7 store cards and 3 regular cards and in 6 months or so I was wanting to get a chase or another card any help would be appreciated

Revolving bank cards are more preferrable to lenders than store cards but they do help you with your mix of credit Fico category. I would certainly hold the line here with the number of store cards you have and move to getting more bankcards in 6 months or so. Use them and keep them inline just like you would a major bankcard and you will be fine.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.