Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Store cards

Hello, I'm looking to apply to some store and wanted to know who is easy to get and what credit place they pull? I shop at sams, walmart, target, macys, dillards that's about it. I have one credit card which I open in march of this year, no other credit. I'm a 21 yr old college student. I'm trying to add to my report so I can get more credit cards in the future. Please give advice!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
sonson
Regular Contributor

Re: Store cards

Try the Best Buy RewardZone Mastercard

you can try there pre approval site here https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/rewardzonemastercard?media=B5IM29H20061100001EM

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I would try to limit your exposure on the store cards. 1 no more than 2. You shop at Walmart? Good get that and no more. They even have a cash back on the card. Comes in handy when you need to get a keg for a party. Smiley Very Happy  Store cards on a credit report are like cat litter. Too many won't look good down the road. 

Message 3 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, I'm looking to apply to some store and wanted to know who is easy to get and what credit place they pull? I shop at sams, walmart, target, macys, dillards that's about it. I have one credit card which I open in march of this year, no other credit. I'm a 21 yr old college student. I'm trying to add to my report so I can get more credit cards in the future. Please give advice!

Hi, Ineedcredit21!

I've read your other posts on this same question. 

My advice is to slow down.  Don't app for anything.  Wait at least 6 months, preferably longer.  Let your 6-week-old credit history mature a bit.  The rest will take care of itself if you just give it time.

At age 21, I know 6 months seems like forever, but it's not.  If you continue to app now for anything you can get, you will be stuck with a boatload of low-limit cards (if you can even get them) and inquiries that won't fall off for another 2 years (which, BTW, is four times longer than 6 months).  You will miss out on opportunities for receiving pre-approved offers for decent credit limit bank cards that historically are sent to recent college grads with thin files, but good payment history on just one small CL account.

I've got a couple of nieces just out of college within the last two years.  I gave each of them this same advice.  Niece #1 listened, and now has two bank cards with nice limits for her income, as well as a couple of good store cards.  Niece #2 didn't want to wait, she went to all the stores, did all the apps, did the online bankcard apps, got turned down repeatedly, but finally got a $200 Target card and not much else.  And that's where she's at right now.

Where do you want to be credit-wise when you're out of school? 

Enough said. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for advice, I actually just want three different cards when I get out of school. A visa,MasterCard, and amex. That is my goal to get them three cards with a decent limit on them. Is it smart to have store cards? Or just have a major card? Which card would be best for me to apply for after my 6 month period is up? Since my first cc should I ask for a CLI after 6 months or should I keep the low limit?
Message 5 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I would use your existing card for everything you spend on.

I would never go over the limit, always give yourself at least a $50 cushion. Track your spending every day.  Keep your receipts.

I would pay that card off in full, every month.  If necessary, pay it off several times a month (whenever you hit that $250 balance, pay it off in full, even in mid-cycle).  If you are using that card to the extent that you have to pay it off several times a month, you won't have to ask for a CLI.  The bank will offer it, or upgrade your card.

Never, never, never ever be late in paying...ever!  (One member on these boards has that as his/her siggy, and I've always loved it... it's critical to your credit health). There's no such thing as "only a day late", or "only 45 minutes late".  Late is late.  Don't ever be late!

Six months down the road, you may want a store card or you may not.  Nobody really needs them, regardless of the credit-mix thing for scoring purposes.  It's just not worth it unless it's a high limit card, which you probably aren't going to get in six months.  

Please just be patient.  You are building a foundation here...let the concrete set before going any further.

I truly wish the best for you, and think you'll do OK in the long run.  But that's what it is...it's not a sprint. 

I hope this helps!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the advice! If I paid the bill during mid cycle will that hurt me or help me?
Message 7 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Paying your credit card balance never hurts.  It only hurts if it's late, or if it's not at least the minimum amount due, or if you paid 'em with a bad check...

Message 8 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Macy;s will be co-branded with AMEX network soon, rather than VISA.    CitiBank not American Express is underwriter.   IMO, good choice for next application.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy;s will be co-branded with AMEX network soon, rather than VISA.    CitiBank not American Express is underwriter.   IMO, good choice for next application.

Meh.  I've posted that I love my Macy's.  But they're not currently reporting CL's; and evidently they will continue that behavior moving forward.  They are off my "luvy" list. 

I've got to +1 everything Uborrow-Upay posted here.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.