Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cards..

tag
mirachi
Regular Contributor

Re: Store cards..

My L&T one I applied just to get the 15% off...also haven't touched the card since...

VS I applied bc I was doing a lot of shopping there at the time...(yes, applied...I'm proly the only idiot here that took a HP for it :x )

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 11 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@subwaysandwich wrote:
What is the reason people apply for store cards besides the coupons they send you? Is it because they can't get any cards from banks...?

As with any type of card it's just a matter of finding the card that meets the individual's needs/wants/goals etc.  I personally don't have any and have never had any.

Message 12 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@BrokaToe wrote:

IMO there are many different reasons depending on the person and their spending habbits as to why they would acquire store cards.  Some store cards offer different promotions or rewards that aren't available on the everyday visa, MC, Discover or Amex etc...

Some folks may get them as builders or rebuilders because in most cases the underwriting criteria is more lenient.

Others may choose to use store cards at their favorite shopping places in order to keep expenditures separated on different cards.

There's really tons of reasons and probably plenty more that I've not thought of. Like I said it really depends on the person and their spending habits.

But I definitely wouldn't say the only reason was because they couldn't acquire anything else or anything better. Smiley Happy

+1 to this.

As far as keeping expenditures separated, this definitely plays into UTIL, as I can certainly say my store cards help carry weight in that department. 

Stores due have loyalty programs on their CCs that often exceed rewards cards.  My Gold Violin CC gives me $10 coupons for every $150 spent (nearly 7% reward).   Mine even payed out at $125 in spending as a thank you, giving me an 8% reward in effect.  And yes, many stores do have special financing, which eliminate or defer interest for those big ticket items.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 14
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I agree with what others have said-

For me there are several reasons per card that I have as a store card and typically it is: 0% financing offers, coupons, discounts, frequent credit limit increases, and also of the 4 store cards I have, 3 of them have the potential to upgrade to a bank/store card (Visa, Amex, and Discover). The 4th card is for VS and I just like shopping there lol and I got it via the shopping cart trick so I didn't sacrifice an inquiry to get it.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.