Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store cashier asked for my Amex card

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Store cashier asked for my Amex card

I was shopping at a mall the other day and paid with my credit card (of course!) The cashier asked me to show the card and looked at the front of the card quite carefully. She said she did that because it was an Amex. I didn't ask for the reason because I was in a hurry. What's so special about an Amex card? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Store cashier asked for my Amex card

Because the Amex card verification is the 4 digit code in front?  Some merchants requests to enter the 4 digit code for authorization.

Just a guess.  Or, it could have been your newly minted Centurion.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Or she was skimming the card, copying the mag stripe while misdirecting your attention to the front.  That's what I do....

Message 3 of 8
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

At the business I own, when a credit card is swiped, my credit card machine comes up with a screen with the last four digits of the credit and then I am supposed to press "yes" if the are correct or "no" if they aren't correct.  When I go to Staples and swipe my card, the cashier asks for the last four digits and puts them in.  It both cases, it doesn't matter which kind of credit card it is.  I think it is just one more way to provide verification.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 4 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Additionally, with the merchant entering the last 4 digits, it will allow them to re-trace or find the transaction if there are returns or adjustments without their computer system showing/saving all sixteen digits of your cc number.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 8
yejun
Established Member

My local Walgreen always ask zip code when I swipe Amex not other card or spg's express pay.
Message 6 of 8
jla84
Regular Contributor

This is typical with AmEx. I'm asked for my card at many places so they can enter in the verification code. At other places I'm just asked for my zip code. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
JonStur
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Or she was skimming the card, copying the mag stripe while misdirecting your attention to the front.  That's what I do....

Lol.....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.