Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store mistakenly opens card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Forum,

Today I decided to open a debit card with a retail store. I was going to hook it up to a bank account that I only use for non-essentials (so, low balance kept it in without overdraft options). The sales associate is someone who I have used for years and we have a great customer relationship. She asked me some basic questions, asked for a voided check, driver's license, etc. I asked if they were going to check my credit and I was told no. But, when all was said and done, I was told "I'm sorry. But I just signed you up for a credit card instead of the debit card." I declined the card and hopefully no line a credit was activated.

The sales associate immediately took me to customer service based on the disgruntled look on my face. My concern was that they had just done a hard check on my credit report. They offered me a gift card but I declined it. (They said it would still be there for me if I changed my mind.) As I told them "you effectively lowered my credit score by doing a hard check. There is no way to make that up." Customer service tried to reassure me that regardless if I opened a credit card or debit card, they were going to check my credit report. This irked me as it was not what I was told when I was initially signing up for the debit card. Plus, they still asked if I was going to open the debit card. When I asked "are you going to check my credit report again?" I was told "Yes. We'll have to check it again for the debit card." Unbelievable. So, I declined signing up for the debit card.

The reason I'm most upset is that I was given incorrect information. I never would have signed up for the card if I knew they were going to check my credit report. The result: an irreversible (?) check to my credit report. Plus, I'm planning to refinance my auto loan in the near future. Sure, that hard check on my report may not make a difference, but what if it does? What if it dropped my score just enough to pull me out of the awesome APR range? I know my score is in the border region where you either get a really great rate or a good rate when it comes to refinancing. I've been working my butt off to get my score higher so I can qualify for a better refinancing rate. So, what would you do in my shoes? Is there any way to fix this? Or, do I only get to give the store the angry eye for the next six months?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Store mistakenly opens card

I feel your pain.  I had a similar issue with State Farm about making a hard pull on my credit without asking me.  I closed the account several years old account.   In your case, since they pulled your credit report, you can either keep the card and not use it, or file a complaint directly with them to remove the inquiry, or file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to see if that rectify the situation.   

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would contact their corprate office and tell them that you did not authorize the clerk to do this and demand they remove it or you would have to take legal action against them.

Message 3 of 5
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would contact their corprate office and tell them that you did not authorize the clerk to do this and demand they remove it or you would have to take legal action against them.

That's what I was thinking when I suggested filing a complaint with the BBB.  Filing a complaint with BBB get the complaint to the higher ups hastily. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have bad experience with Sleep Train, it was before I visit this forum.  Their employee told me that he will not app for the loan, he is only check to see how much I can get loan.  I've never gave a permission to app for the loan.  Guess what ... it hit one HP and I got Citi Sleep Train Card with 4k.  How nice ~.  I've never used this card nor did not purchase anything at Sleep Train.  Then Citi closed this card a year later due to the no activities.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.