Did you mean: 

Strange AmEx Decline?

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Strange AmEx Decline?

Hi All

I always PIF, multiple times a month and have zero balance on my cards

My last PRG statement showed a balance of $168, which I PIF and is shown on my account.

I have a zero balance - yet tried to just spend $31 at Red Robin and it was declined - I have NEVER had a card decline on me before, very embarrasing

I used another of my cards - which went through immediately

I just called AmEx - but they have no note of a declined transaction on my account - and lady told me i was operating my account perfectly

Im now afraid to use this card, for fear of further denials ;(

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Strange AmEx Decline?

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Hi All

I always PIF, multiple times a month and have zero balance on my cards

My last PRG statement showed a balance of $168, which I PIF and is shown on my account.

I have a zero balance - yet tried to just spend $31 at Red Robin and it was declined - I have NEVER had a card decline on me before, very embarrasing

I used another of my cards - which went through immediately

I just called AmEx - but they have no note of a declined transaction on my account - and lady told me i was operating my account perfectly

Im now afraid to use this card, for fear of further denials ;(

Yes that would be peculiar unless the AMEX network (or connectivity) had a snag somehow when processing your transaction.  Try it somewhere else (small purchase) to see if it occurs again and contact them if the issue resurfaces.

Message 2 of 12
GOldfishes
Contributor

I had this happen once. I was in a cab in NYC and my Plat card was declined. It took a while for me to get any kind of response. I used another card and got out. I called Amex right away and they had no record of a decline and said it should not have been a problem and would not be on my statement. It did end up showing up on my statement, I disputed it and Amex refunded.

Experian: 734 Equifax: 765 Transunion:776

BoA Cash Rewards($6500)|Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX($5000)|Chase Freedom($4000)|
Chase Sapphire Preferred($6500)|Amex PRG ($NPSL)|Amex SPG($6000)|Amex Business Gold Rewards($NPSL)|Amex BCE ($10,200)|Citi AA Exec ($10,500)|
Message 3 of 12
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

I'm not an expert on processing or anything, but there are multiple 'stages' of cards going through approval, and it could have got hung not because of your card/account, but because of the processor itself.  Even if they were able to process a few minutes later, this could have been the issue.  

Personally, I'd probably go to a gas station and buy something small just to make sure it works again.  I know it sucks to have a card declined, especially when a waiter has to hand you back your card and say it didn't go through.  

Message 4 of 12
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I have had this happen with both Discover and Chase. Phantom transaction denials for which there is no record or source.. and these were denied for two attempts. I don't ask anybody to run in a 3rd time. Anyway, the reps are most unhelpful because they don't see a decline in their system and feel there is no decline so they are not at fault and it must be the merchant at fault or whatever. It has always upset me a bit because everybody claims no fault. This has happened multiple times with Discover.

Also, there was once when I had a decline with Chase for which they didn't have a record. However, when I mentioned that I thought it was declined mid way through the transaction while going through Verified by Visa, they brought a rep from the security team (some section that had security as the first word) on a conference call. This person was able to look through his separate system and was able to see the decline (and authorize the charge for a second attempt - it was airline tickets on Emirates!)

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 5 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would watch both statements from your two cc you used! You might be dbl charged!
Message 6 of 12
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks All - I will certainly watch for double charging - but it's not showing as "pending" in my AmEx - So I should be good

- I think a gas purchase with my PRG and pay at pump is in order Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 12
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

probably just a snag like everyone has mentioned...i wouldn't worry Smiley Happy just go out and try it again...

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 8 of 12
tdoger
Established Member

This happened to me a few months ago at a restaurant.  Waitperson said my AMEX was declined and she had tried twice.  I put it on another card,  BUT when she brought the printout for me to sign she also brought the two "denial" printouts.  They both said "Timed Out",  not declined.  I did call amex and they showed no record.  

Message 9 of 12
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Yeah - mine showed "Declined - error 1" on 2 receipts, i will try for gas tomorrow Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.