Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Citi message for CLI

tag
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Strange Citi message for CLI

Let it be me to get the strange messages.

Time for my 6 mo CLI with Citi, so went to CLI page and get my "NO credit report will be pulled and instant decision" and to input annual income and housing payment like usual, but when I click submit, the second page says "more information needed" where it states we apologize we can't do an instant decision and a credit report will be pulled to go further and a place to ask for desired CLI. Has anyone else got this message before? Seems odd that SP option is there, but then switches to HP. Cancelled out and came here for ideas.

Also, what bureau pulled and do they counter? TIA

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Strange Citi message for CLI

I have received the same message recently. You're not alone.
Oh and they pull EQ for CLI. EX and sometimes EQ for new cards.
Message 2 of 29
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Thanks G ! Glad to know i'm not the only one.

Did you go for the HP?

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 3 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Not this time around. I took a HP earlier this month for an AAdvantage CC. The last time I took a HP for a Citi CLI, I got a $16k increase. The HP can be worth it. Shoot high if you decide to take the HP.
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not seen that message from Citi, I've seen it with another lender.  Last month I requested an HP CLI after I was given an SP CLI.  I got what I asked for.  Note, they gave me the SP CLI and would not review any additional increases without the HP.  They pulled EX for me.  I opened a Citi Advantage account recently as well and they pulled EX and EQ.  I'm not fond of lenders that are pulling more than one CRA...BUT...Citi has been very generous with me, so I'll leave it be and stay in the garden.

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took a HP a few weeks back hoping to get a massive CLI on my Citi DC card and only got a small one (relative to what I expected).  I wish now I never took the HP and just went for a SP request instead.  While many have reported great results with Citi HP CLI requests, others like myself fell far short of what we wanted.

Message 6 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Citi probably didn't know they were dealing with the one and only Brutal body shots! Eh..it's only one HP BBS. They'll warm up to you. Some of you guys need to chill on playing with the numbers and let your usages report from other lenders. I don't believe for one minute Capitol One is the only lender looking at customer's usages with other lender's accounts.
Message 7 of 29
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

That's a very common message to receieve. Your "instant decision" was that a SP wasn't enough to warrant any CLI. That's why they give you the option to try your luck with a HP.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
Citi probably didn't know they were dealing with the one and only Brutal body shots! Eh..it's only one HP BBS. They'll warm up to you. Some of you guys need to chill on playing with the numbers and let your usages report from other lenders. I don't believe for one minute Capitol One is the only lender looking at customer's usages with other lender's accounts.

I get that, but it's probably the one factor that will keep me from hitting 850 until this time next year, which was something I was looking forward to.  At least if I had a killer limit on my Citi card, it would have been a fair tradeoff for not hitting my score goal in X amount of time. 

What do you mean with letting usages report from other lenders?

Message 9 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I was referring to those that micromanage what reports to the CBs.
I get it when trying to squeeze every point for a mortgage or to keep utilization below a certain threshold. It's when some feel they have to do it monthly in order to maintain good credit is what confuses me. Or mistakingly mislead in believing they'll be approved for anything on scores alone.
If I were a UW and all I saw was $1 reporting on an individual's CC accounts. I'd have serious reservations about issuing them more credit. With no real track record of using it. It's tough to know whether this person will use the tradeline regularly.
One would think, since it's an internal request. Maybe seeing usage on that particular account is all they need to see. Could it be they are looking for the usage their competition gets as well?
I could very well be mistaken. It's just my warped way of seeing how it works I suppose.
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.