Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Discover More Approval...

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Strange Discover More Approval...

@Ortz33__ wrote:

what should i say if they 'ask' is that credit limit enough?  feel like it's a trick question.  i would want them to match my highest card (which is a store card) at 3k.  my non store card highest is 1500.  What do you guys think?

I'd ask for 3K, worst case scenario they take you down a tad.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

Congrats!  It can't hurt to ask but the "your CL is...is that sufficient?" is scripted, not a legit invitation for a CLI at activation; which Discover is not typically known to offer.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

One thing that you might consider saying is that you're excited about getting this card, you want to use it a lot, but you're concerned that your FICO scores will be hurt if this results in high usage.

Few consumers know (or care, lol) about the trick about paying your balance before the statement drops to create low reported util, so this would be a legitimate concern for many people. As it would be for you, too, if you don't plan on paying off your balances before the statement date.

I don't know if it would help, but you might mull it over.

This is how I got a large CLI from BofA several years ago. I did a BT (not the same as purchases, I realize) that would have resulted in 84% util on the card. I mentioned this on the phone and got a CLI from $10K to $18K, just to keep my util under 50%. I doubt that it would work now at this high a level, but it might be worth considering with Discover's traditionally stingy CL's.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 14
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Call them and ask. I had to.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.