Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Expiring ThankYou Points (TYPs)

tag
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Strange Expiring ThankYou Points (TYPs)

Had a strange situation with my TYPs. I had a Citi account that I opened a while back (think as a Gold account) and got points for signing up. Don't remember how many exactly but must have been around 40k TYPs.

I had decided back in August or September to close the account because I just wasn't using it anymore. I was told I could use the TYPs associated with the account within 60 days. No problem - at first I tried the mortgage credit that I had used before, but that was < .01/pt so I decided to go with some Home Depot GCs instead. So I tested things out with a $25 HD GC - and it took points from my Prestige card account TYPs instead of the soon to be expiring TYPs associated with the closed checking account.

I called and they "combined" the two TYP accounts, and now it showed that I only had something like 400 TYPs expiring. So I tried another $25 HD GC, and it still didn't take from the expiring ones. But - at least it now showed almost all of the transferred points having an expiry date of 9/2019. So I figured no big deal - maybe worth it losing 400 points to have the extended time to use the remaining points.

Checked my balance today - and all of the TYPs (approx 40k) were gone - disappeared with no trace. Unfortunately I didn't screenshot anything before poof - and they were gone.

So I called in and at first he gave me the standard line of "it will take from the expiring points first" - and I explained that I was trying to use them, but it kept taking from the non-expiring ones. He saw that, put me on a hold (think he needed to get some help) and he credited me with 39,350 TYPs (supposedly - said it would take 24 hours or so to show up in my account and I don't see them yet). That number seems about right give or take. He also said these points will not expire. I'm tempted to use them anyway considering what happened. But I'll see what they look like in my account and make sure to take a screenshot.

So word of caution with expiring TYPs - make good use of the screenshot feature!

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Strange Expiring ThankYou Points (TYPs)

Yet another thing that’s iffy about the TYP program.

I have 52K TY points and I’m struggling to make good use of them. I already got my award flights with Amex points but there are some local flights I need to reserve for while we’re in Israel and Turkey. However the only flights showing up on the ThankYou portal are for the crappiest flight times. The airline website and the Amex portal show all flights for those dates. Too bad MR points are pretty much worthless beyond airline transfers.
Message 2 of 3
ficobgtx
Regular Contributor

Re: Strange Expiring ThankYou Points (TYPs)

To close this loop - I did receive my "expired" TYPs, and it list the transaction as "Other Corrections" and "ADJUSTMENT."

It doesn't appear that these are expiring. Before, it used to list some with expiration dates and some as non-expiring. Now it doesn't have that breakdown. Might spend them anyway just to be safe.

And needless to say I took a screenshot this time!

TU - 850 (BOA TU08 FICO/Barclay TU08), 831 (CK FAKO)
EQ - 870 (CITI FICO), 848 (ATFCU FICO), 831 (CK FAKO)
EX - 841 (AMEX FICO)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.