Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange approval or denial from Comenity Bank

tag
jim44
Established Contributor

Strange approval or denial from Comenity Bank

Was wondering if anyone has had this experience.  I've had a Marathon gas card for about a year in good standing and decided to try for the Marathon Visa on July 3rd. (no upgrade)  I applied for the card online and called the CS number today for Visa to check on the status.  The CSR checked my account and said that I was approved but there was no mention about a Visa on the approval so she said I was approved for the regular gas card on the date I applied.

It seems like the regular gas card approval is a default for a Visa denial but it also seems strange that Comenity would open another store acct for me. I can understand 2 or more Visas or MCs from the same bank but 2 identical store cards accts?  She told me new card would be sent out shortly.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for any replies in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Strange approval or denial from Comenity Bank

@jim44 wrote:

Was wondering if anyone has had this experience.  I've had a Marathon gas card for about a year in good standing and decided to try for the Marathon Visa on July 3rd. (no upgrade)  I applied for the card online and called the CS number today for Visa to check on the status.  The CSR checked my account and said that I was approved but there was no mention about a Visa on the approval so she said I was approved for the regular gas card on the date I applied.

It seems like the regular gas card approval is a default for a Visa denial but it also seems strange that Comenity would open another store acct for me. I can understand 2 or more Visas or MCs from the same bank but 2 identical store cards accts?  She told me new card would be sent out shortly.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for any replies in advance.

Its possible to have mutliple gas cards I used to have 4 Shells (I apped explict for the store card not the MC). You are not qualifying for the VIsa.

Right on Comenitys app site is this

Important information when applying for an account:

To apply you must: Be at least 18 years of age, have a valid government-issued photo ID, and have a U.S. Social Security Number.

You agree that this application and any information you submit to Comenity Bank may be shared with and retained by Marathon.

You understand that you are being considered for the Marathon Visa® Credit Card. You also understand that you may be considered for and receive the Marathon Credit Card which can only be used at Marathon. Prior to submitting your application please review the rates, fees and cost information for both credit cards.

Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

same applies for GE if you apply again for a store card that has a visa because you don't want to wait for the upgrade offer you very much could end up with a 2nd store card.

That bites though, id try the recon line but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Message 3 of 4
jim44
Established Contributor

Thanks for both your responses. I did notice that disclaimer on the Marathon Visa application website.  I was kind of under the impression you would receive a flat out denial if you already had a regular Marathon gas card.  Hummm

Creditaddict.,  Yes I did call the backdoor number. The CS rep could only tell if they had received the application and if a letter had been sent.  I have this feeling I've been denied.  Time to garden!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.