cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange backdating dilemma. Need advice....

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Strange backdating dilemma. Need advice....

Hi. I have been an Amex member since 2012.....AFAIK. 

On my account homepage, under my name in the upper right area, it says "Thank you for being a cardmember since 1993". I think this suddenly changed when I regsitered my Gold Biz Card the other day. I had never noticed it before. Thing is, my Gold Biz Card says member since 2012. Now, I just got my new SPG Biz Amex in the mail today. It says cardmember since 1993!!! Just like the website! Wow.Something obviously happened here.  I was just on the phone with the rep about this card (unrelated matter) when I suddenly noticed it and began to fumble my words and hesitate. I was about to ask her about it and decided to not say anything. 

Anyone ever had this happen before? I'm quite confused here. I'd LOVE to be backdated to 1993 but don't remember having a card back then. I would love to call and ask to have my other two Amex's remailed with the backdating to 1993 but I don't know if that would work or if it would raise red flags and get corrected.....mainly because I don't know how clear, concise and organized backdating is. I mean, do the reps just see my 1993 backdating and go off that without verifying it? 

My ultimate goal would be, if I can really keep the 1993 date, to get a personal card...which I still don't have...and give my AAoA a serious jolt in age. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Strange backdating dilemma. Need advice....

Does your gold biz card show on your reports ? If so, what is the date opened?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

No. It's too new to have reported yet n(applied Friday, got it Monday...yesterday) and I wouldn't expect it to anyway. Business accounts don't report.  All I kknow is that Biz Bold says 2012. 

You know, it's funny.....I also didn't get a second hard inquiry for the SPG Biz. I applied on the same day as the Gold (Friday) and still only have one inquiry. I figured it was because I had two apps on the same day and perhaps EX discarded as a duplicate....which is known to happen. Maybe it pulled somebody else's report??? But I highly doubt that.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 3 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Generally the member since date that shows online is what becomes your date opened on your reports.

I have no idea why your date was switched to 1993 though ~ hopefully it will stay there Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

So I guess if apply for a personal card now, I will get a card backdated to 1993? 

Message 5 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yes, I believe that you'd be backdated to '93 ~ assuming your member since date doesn't change again.....
Message 6 of 14
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

As I understand, for member since dates AMEX treats business cards differently than personal cards. My personal cards are all dated 1984, while my single business card is dated 2012.

Is it possible you had a business card in 1993?

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 7 of 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Nope. No business card in 1993. The only stretched, contorted possiblity that I can come up with is that previous owner of the business I own (which existed long before I bought it) somehow, maybe had an Amex card in 1993 and it got credited to me. But if that were the case, I would think it would have shown up on my previous two cards.

Message 8 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I had a Corporate green card for years before I ever acquired a personal AMEX ~ they were kind enough to backdate my personal cards when I called and asked Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 14
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Nope. No business card in 1993. The only stretched, contorted possiblity that I can come up with is that previous owner of the business I own (which existed long before I bought it) somehow, maybe had an Amex card in 1993 and it got credited to me. But if that were the case, I would think it would have shown up on my previous two cards.

I almost suggested that a prior owner might have had an AMEX in 1993. Not sure there is any benefit with the 1993 date in your case, since AMEX business cards don't report on personal credit reports unless in default. 

With backdating, the first card often comes with the current year. This happened to me in 2011 when I opened three cards, the first showed the member since date as 2011, the other two 1984. All were backdated to 84.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.