Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange denial - Bill Me Later

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange denial - Bill Me Later

I recently attempted to apply for a Bill Me Later account to make an eBay purchase. I received a very odd sounding denial message. I don't think they made a hard inquiry on my report (nothing reported by my credit monitoring).

Text of message:

"Dear xxxxxx:

This letter is in response to your recent request to open a Bill Me Later® account.Our records show that you requested to open an account or make a purchase using the Bill Me Later payment method on xx/xx/2013.

We regret that we are unable to approve you for the service at this time for the following reasons:

We are unable to validate information relating to the device you used in connection with this application.

You do not need to respond to this letter. If, however, you have any questions about this service, please contact us at the above address.

Sincerely,

WebBank, Salt Lake City, Utah"

Has anybody ever heard of this? I can't find reports of anything similar via Google.

It sounds like it is referring to my computer. The only thing I can think of is that might have something to do with my web browser. I'm running Firefox with NoScript, but I had scripts allowed for their site.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
shane82388
Established Contributor

Re: Strange denial - Bill Me Later

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently attempted to apply for a Bill Me Later account to make an eBay purchase. I received a very odd sounding denial message. I don't think they made a hard inquiry on my report (nothing reported by my credit monitoring).

Text of message:

"Dear xxxxxx:

This letter is in response to your recent request to open a Bill Me Later® account.Our records show that you requested to open an account or make a purchase using the Bill Me Later payment method on xx/xx/2013.

We regret that we are unable to approve you for the service at this time for the following reasons:

We are unable to validate information relating to the device you used in connection with this application.

You do not need to respond to this letter. If, however, you have any questions about this service, please contact us at the above address.

Sincerely,

WebBank, Salt Lake City, Utah"

Has anybody ever heard of this? I can't find reports of anything similar via Google.

It sounds like it is referring to my computer. The only thing I can think of is that might have something to do with my web browser. I'm running Firefox with NoScript, but I had scripts allowed for their site.

Id definitely check your credit report and make them take it off if they did. I got hit with a hard inquiry from them during a big ordeal like this...but it was some discrepancy with my personal info that auto declined me or something. Same difference though, i guess.

Message 2 of 11
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Do you know if they did a hard pull? If not, then you could be right about the browser issue.
Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 3 of 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I also use Firefox with NoScript (as well as a pop-up blocker and a few other privacy add-ons). In my experience, there are quite a few sites that still don't work even when I've allowed everything I can think of to allow.

If you haven't had a hard pull and want to try the whole transaction again, some things you might try:

* Use another browser; Opera in its default settings usually works and it can be downloaded free. Or just hold your nose and try IE if you're on Windows.

* If you're surfing via a proxy, temporarily bypass it.

If Firefox is the only browser you want to use, try:

* Temporarily change your preferences to allow third-party cookies (this seems counter-intuitive because TP-cookies are so often nasties; but some financial sites are actually calling on partner sites to do some of their heavy lifting and those sites may need to set cookies)

* Check NoScript to make sure you've temporarily allowed all scripts on that page.

* If the application process takes you to another page, make sure you allow scripts there, too.

Hope that helps! Firefox and NoScript are wonderful, but they do sometimes cause problems. I've had similar problems to yours and one of these things usually takes care of it.

Message 4 of 11
MzKoli
Contributor

Don't call the CS they know less than nothing abt denials... if you got a HP write to the add on the letter to ask for removal. Don't go into specifics stick to a generic online template.
Message 5 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

That was probably a blessing in disguise.. I have bill me later and every time I use it I regret it lol.. The interest rate is terrible unless you get financing 29.99 APR.
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pretty sure there was no hard pull. I have credit monitoring through IdentityGuard and they email me pretty quickly if there is a change - last time it was within 10 minutes that they alerted me of an inquiry.

Nothing yet, but I think I will wait 24 hours and see. I will probably try again with Internet Explorer 9.

Incidentally, I am looking to make a big enough purchase that will be interest free for 6 months. Will pay it off with my tax refund. If they deny me again, I guess I'll just wait for the refund and pay cash!

Message 7 of 11
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

I thought PayPal did a hard pull for Bill Me Later?  Well, hopefully they didn't.

Anyways, that is a strange reason for denial.  You would think they'd ask to you to verify some questions regarding your device instead of flat out denying you.  Paypal's weird anyways.  They have to approve people for DEBIT cards

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 8 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

Paypal and bill me later are two different banks although you can link them their policies are diff.

Paypal is GE BML is webbank
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I used Internet Explorer to apply again this evening and was approved immediately for a $1000 credit line. So, I think the problem was definitely related to Firefox and/or NoScript. I'm also running Ghostery which might also have interfered..
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.