Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange email from Synchrony Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange email from Synchrony Bank

I received an email this morning from Synchrony Bank. Is this a valid email address for them?

customer.service@mail.synchronybank.com

It asks me to click on a link to review a response from my recent application for a Toys R Us credit card
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Re: Strange email from Synchrony Bank

It does not matter if the email address you see as the from address is a real address or not, this can be faked.

Did you app for something? If not, you can probably ignore it.

If you think there's a chance there is fraud or you did app for that card, still don't click anything, yet...

Call them at the number on their website or on the back of your card, not from any number in the email. Don't even click a link to their site from the email, as *any* link in it could be malicious or deliberately misleading.

Once you have someone on the phone, ask them if they have any outstanding/recent apps in your name. Ask them if they recognize the email subject as a thing they actually send.

There are several more things you ship should check, even if you think it is legitimate, but I'm not going to try to explain how to detect that here. Someone on the internet has done a better job than I'll do swiping on my phone.

The Internet *is* out to get you. Always.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I did recently apply for their credit card but was told they were not able to approve my application at that time. They did not HP any of my reports when I applied nor do I see any HP for them now. That's why I'm confused by this email
Message 3 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ignore it. If you applied recently and were not approved youll get something in the mail.
Message 4 of 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I received an email this morning from Synchrony Bank. Is this a valid email address for them?

customer.service@mail.synchronybank.com

It asks me to click on a link to review a response from my recent application for a Toys R Us credit card

Ok, first question: Why would you apply for a credit card for a store that is being closed?

Now, for the juicy bits: If they didn't HP you, chances are you missed the cutoff for the applications. They shut down the credit card application as part of their closing. 

Message 5 of 10
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Since Toys R Us is being liquidated I wonder if that had bearing on Sychrony's email?

No store = no card Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already haev a TRU card with them, and have not yet receieved any communication about what they plan to do with it. So I highly doubt they're sending out emails trying to get people to apply. lol

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it’s legit, when I used to have synchrony couple years back and applied for a card they would sometimes send me the denial letter via email. It would say in order to reduce paper, but you might wanna call just to be safe.
Message 8 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Call them on the phone.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied before they released confirmation of closing 😂

I think I'll just delete the email and go about my day. Thanks for the input everyone!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.