Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategic Advice on AmEx Targeted Offers

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Strategic Advice on AmEx Targeted Offers

Hi all, so I have a pretty specific situation and was hoping for advice from some of you credit card gurus. Over the past month or so, I have received multiple targeted offers from AmEx, here in chronological order:

1. Blue Sky - 30k points bonus ($400 value)
  2. Premier Rewards Gold - 50k MR points signup bonus ($500 value)
  3. Gold Delta SkyMiles- 72.5k SkyMiles signup bonus. ($725 value)
  4. Blue Cash Everyday - $250 signup bonus.

I received the first three offers within a week of each other and ultimately went with Blue Sky and was approved for a $10k CL. It might seem silly given the cash equivalent for the Blue Sky was the smallest of the three, but I reasoned that the Blue Sky offer was the highest targeted offer ever for that particular card, the PRG has had higher (75k) bonus offers in the past, and I rarely fly Delta. I originally wanted a BCE/BCP, but the Blue Sky bonus tempted me and I caved. Plus, I figured I could PC later anyway.

The remaining three offers (PRG, Gold Delta, and BCE) all expire between August 20th and September 5th. Of course, it would be nice to get all of them, but I have to balance that with increasing chances of app denial, hits to my credit score, etc. I suspect that these may be the last targeted offers AmEx sends me for a while since they slow down or stop entirely once you get approved for one of their cards. In fact, when I go to "View my Offers" on the AmEx website now, the PRG and Gold Delta offers have disappeared, even though according to the mail pieces they are good for a few more weeks (I'm guessing after I was approved for the Blue Sky the other offers went away). The BCE offer was actually sent to me at my parents address so that's likely why I got it even after my Blue Sky approval.

So, I'm wondering where I should go from here. Here's my initial thought: Wait until early September to get my 61 day CLI on the Blue Sky after paying the balance down to $0, then apply for the BCE with the $250 offer. After cashing out my bonuses for both, try to fold the Blue Sky credit line into the BCE, which is a card I would actually use. Is that even possible? How would it affect my credit score? Thanks.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Strategic Advice on AmEx Targeted Offers

Perhaps that post was one of those tl;dr victims. Let me try again: Does AmEx allow you to combine credit limits? If so, do the TL's merge on your credit report?

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 4
bribro
Valued Contributor

Bump. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Don't remember Amex policy on combining credit limits, but you should be able to find out pretty easily with by running a search in the forum.  I'm sure I've read posts on that before.

If I were you, I'd be all over that PRG offer.  I don't think you can count on getting the 75K offer and 50K is double the normal offer.  I wish I could have received a 50K offer.  That's also a pretty sweet offer on the Delta card.  Delta miles are one of the easiest to redeem for flights to Australia.  You'd be most of the way there for a business class ticket to Australia.  Lots of other good redemptions as well.  Unless you've got a mortgage app or car loan coming up soon, I'd take a shot at both of them.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.