Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for gaining $5k+ CL experience

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Strategy for gaining $5k+ CL experience

Since I just my new cards (waiting on AMEX BCE), should I let my balances post to show activity on my trade lines?  Or just PIF like I usually do by the due date?

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Strategy for gaining $5k+ CL experience

Even though I PIF every month, my reports still show my limit and high balance.  You don't need to report a balance to show responsible use.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you PIF by your due date, your statement balances will show on your credit report.  You need to make sure the statement balance is 0 if you want 0 to report.  Unless you are going to apply for more credit real soon, there's really no need to worry about reported utilization though.  Just make sure to pay by the due date, that is really the only important thing.

Message 3 of 9
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you PIF by your due date, your statement balances will show on your credit report.  You need to make sure the statement balance is 0 if you want 0 to report.  Unless you are going to apply for more credit real soon, there's really no need to worry about reported utilization though.  Just make sure to pay by the due date, that is really the only important thing.

I PIF before my cycle closes.  It still shows high balance, even though my statement balance is zero.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course, your highest balance will still report, even if you always pay before statement date.

Message 5 of 9
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course, your highest balance will still report, even if you always pay before statement date.

Glad we could agree on that. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, if for example you charge $500.00 during the month and that was your highest balance then pay it off before the statement closes. it will show a high of $500.00 and a balance of $0.00?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, if for example you charge $500.00 during the month and that was your highest balance then pay it off before the statement closes. it will show a high of $500.00 and a balance of $0.00?

That's correct; high balance of $500, current balance of $0.

Message 8 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Creditors are required to report LIMITS, although typically they ALSO report high balances.

Per the CARD Act.

Not sure if Amex reports hard limits tho
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.