Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for new CC (Freedom?) and Charles Schwab

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Strategy for new CC (Freedom?) and Charles Schwab

I had been thinking of having a second no-FTF card for my Europe trip vs. Chase Freedom to collect UR points since I already have CSP. My choice was going to be a BOFA card vs. Freedom.

Now, I'm thinking of an alternate strategy, which regrettably will cost me 2 HPs but hopefully on two different reports. I was thinking of opening a Charles Schwab investor checking and brokerage account package. The checking will give a visa checkcard that can be used as visa as well as ATM card - no FTF and third-party ATM fees refunded. That would cover me for having cash in Europe (I want to have cash on me but don't want to travel with too much cash from here since I expect to be changing a lot of hotels. I also will be there for weeks, so I'll need to get more cash often). This will also help in other trips within the US: Charles Schwab can be my goto ATM card without the hassle of trying to find my own bank ATMs.

Then, I could get the Freedom and forgo the BoFA card (which I only had interest in because of chip / no-FTF).

I was thinking if I do this, then I might want to get the Freedom first and then have Charles Schwarb do its HP. Otherwise, my score would be lower when I try for the CC having the checking account ding first. I expect Charles Schwab to HP EQ and Chase EX.

Balances currently:

CSP: 214 / 14,000 on EX. (charged $1000+ or so right now - can pay off immediately).

BCP: 0 / 18,000 on EX. (charged $57 right now).

Discover: 0 / 10000 on EX.  (charged $12 right now).

EQ FICO (myFICO): 769 (April 23). (Was 770 on April 12 - dropped 1 point when BCP reported 0 a couple of days ago).

TU FICO (Discover): 770 (Apirl 4).

EX: don't know score. 2 HPs - one from Chase (04/13, for CSP), and AMEX (05/12, for BCP/Green in one day)

CSP will report in the first week of May. I can wait and let the CSP report a balance, or I can apply right now.

I have low AAoA and few accounts - typically get those messages with FICO scores.

Any recommendations or alternate strategies? Also, Amex and Chase SP me on EX like crazy. I get tons of Chase Slate offers as well as Wells Fargo Rewards as well as Signature card offers.

Danke!

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

Re: Strategy for new CC (Freedom?) and Charles Schwab

Sounds like you're going to be ok regardless of the timing of events. Just pull the trigger, these companies want and need your business. You didn't mention what exactly low AAoA was, but who cares? You seem to have an excellent profile. Get her done!

Message 2 of 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

It all looks green to me! Let us know your successes! Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 6
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@dollar_bill wrote:

Sounds like you're going to be ok regardless of the timing of events. Just pull the trigger, these companies want and need your business. You didn't mention what exactly low AAoA was, but who cares? You seem to have an excellent profile. Get her done!

My rough-ish calculation in Excel yields an AAoA of 2.57 years!

On second thoughts, I wonder if it really does make a difference in timing the two, if they are meant to go on different reports anyway (that's the general expectation anyway).

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 6
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Strategy for new CC (Freedom?)

Does anybody know what's the best offer out there for Freedom? I have a preapproval in the mail for $100 bonus after $500 spend in 3 months. I don't get a lot of Freedom preapprovals for some reason but I do have that one mailer, which is still valid. Don't see any bigger ($200?) ones listed on the web - anyone reporting any better offers? Would applying in-branch turn up something different?

Message 5 of 6
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Charles Schwab HP

I can confirm that Charles Schwab perfoms an HP on EQ. I also checked my EX - no HP/SP there.

Hehe... not sure if anybody reads/replies to my thread, but I thought I'd put the info here in case somebody in the future performs a search for this information.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.