Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy for transitioning to no fee cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Strategy for transitioning to no fee cards

I have accumulated several cards that had fee waived for the first year and I don' t want to renew them all. Because they are spread out among several companies, I would like to get some type of no fee card to keep the credit line but don't want a hard pull. 

The companies I would be looking to do this  with are U.S. Bank, Chase, Barclays,and Capitol One.  Would the process to get the desired results be the same at each institution?  Is just a call to the number on the back of the card with a request to move the credit line to a no fee card. Should I request a particular card?  

I don't need  any of the cards being replaced to use but do want to keep the credit lines.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Strategy for transitioning to no fee cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I have accumulated several cards that had fee waived for the first year and I don' t want to renew them all. Because they are spread out among several companies, I would like to get some type of no fee card to keep the credit line but don't want a hard pull. 

The companies I would be looking to do this  with are U.S. Bank, Chase, Barclays,and Capitol One.  Would the process to get the desired results be the same at each institution?  Is just a call to the number on the back of the card with a request to move the credit line to a no fee card. Should I request a particular card?  

I don't need  any of the cards being replaced to use but do want to keep the credit lines.

Your best option would be to call the CCCs and see if you can PC to another product with no AF.   I've only direclty had experience doing this with Cap One.  I was able to PC my Platinum to a QS1 and had my AF waived.   The following year, I PC'd the QS1 to a QS with no AF.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase will do product changes with the caveat that you usually can't go from a cobranded card to non, or vice versa. As the PP said best thing to do is call and ask.

I recently did a PC of my Barclays Arrival Plus to an Arrival to avoid the fee, but they too will not let you go between cobranded and non cobranded. My point being that you're kind of SOL if you have a cobranded card and there is no card in that family without an AF.
Message 3 of 6
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tread lightly. Especially Chase.  Lately, they have been eyeing Churn and Burners very close.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Cap One you can just use the online chat service on their website, no need to call in. Open the online chat and ask if your card can be upgraded. I had the Cap One platinum for about 7 months and today asked them to upgrade to the quicksilver, making sure there was no AF.

Message 5 of 6
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Chase and Barclays you could look at combining limits. For example if you have a CSP and Freedom, ask to have the CSP limit moved to Freedom, then close the CSP. Then you retail the UTL.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.