Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stressing the value of RECONNING to new and old members

tag
Mannymal
New Contributor

Re: Stressing the value of RECONNING to new and old members

I got denied for a Chase Freedom in December. Decided to call for recon without even knowing the reason for denial. Not only did the recon work and I got approved, but with a surprisingly high credit limit for my credit. 

I also reconned the GE Amazon card the same day I got approved to CLI it from $1,200 and they easily bumped it to $6,000. 

And on a related note, in December I got approved for the AMEX Delta Skymiles card. The card I really wanted was the BCE but there was no way I was gonna get it. So after I got the Delta, I called and a very nice CSR converted it into BCE which was shocking to me, as my goal was to have a BCE by the end of 2014, and ended up having it before the year began Smiley Happy

So yes, always call and ask for what you want.

AMEX BCE: $3000, CHASE Freedom: $4000, Discover IT: $2,500, Barclay Apple: $1700, Barclay Arrival: $3,000, GE Amazon Store: $6000, Amazon CHASE Visa: $500, American Airlines Federal Credit Union: $6000, Macy's: $600. GARDENING 01/15/15

Starting Score: TU FICO: 630
Current Score: TU FICO: 734 EX FICO: 704
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 23
burberryboy007
Valued Member

@HeilFico wrote:

We all agree that the recon process can be tedious and uncomfortable. (Its the equivalent of a job interview for your credit!) With that being said, please do not take NO for an answer. I submitted an application with a lender (who will not be named) towards the end of December. Here we are today January 19th and I finally got approved. I had to have called at least 10 times! I'M NOT JOKING. What was holding me back was a short credit history and new accounts. My AAOA is not even 2 years old. But I have perfect credit history since all accounts have been opened. This is my third account with said lender. This account is going to be consolidated into another account after 6mos to increase one of the other's limit.

When you are denied check online for possible recon options. Not all lenders offer it, but most prime lenders do. Go over each and every facet of your report and be prepared to outline every aspect of your credit. (Example: new accounts, baddies...etc...)Try to give answers before they even have an opportunity to ask questions. This has worked for me in the past and will work going forward. Hopefully this was my last app till summertime.

BTW I've grown 80k in credit to 60k income in less than a year.

I'm still new to the credit game..what do you mean by this?

American Express Gold Card NPSL | NEFCU Platinum Visa 7.5k | Amazon Store Card 6.5k | Discover More 5.5k | American Express Delta Gold Skymiles 3k | Barclaycard Arrival+ 1.5k |
Starting Score: 664
Current Score: 745
Goal Score: 800

Message 22 of 23
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

@burberryboy007 wrote:

@HeilFico wrote:

We all agree that the recon process can be tedious and uncomfortable. (Its the equivalent of a job interview for your credit!) With that being said, please do not take NO for an answer. I submitted an application with a lender (who will not be named) towards the end of December. Here we are today January 19th and I finally got approved. I had to have called at least 10 times! I'M NOT JOKING. What was holding me back was a short credit history and new accounts. My AAOA is not even 2 years old. But I have perfect credit history since all accounts have been opened. This is my third account with said lender. This account is going to be consolidated into another account after 6mos to increase one of the other's limit.

When you are denied check online for possible recon options. Not all lenders offer it, but most prime lenders do. Go over each and every facet of your report and be prepared to outline every aspect of your credit. (Example: new accounts, baddies...etc...)Try to give answers before they even have an opportunity to ask questions. This has worked for me in the past and will work going forward. Hopefully this was my last app till summertime.

BTW I've grown 80k in credit to 60k income in less than a year.

I'm still new to the credit game..what do you mean by this?

What I meant was to check and see if the institution you applied to recons denials. We have a thread stickied on the first page with various numbers that will direct you to underwriters that can manually review your application and credit report. This is the best option in getting a decision overturned. 

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.