Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strongly considering closing out my Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strongly considering closing out my Discover

reward/cash back aside, this card also has no FTF...which if that is your goal to accumulate rewards and travel internationally, this card would be a good back up incase your visa and amex gets declined.

Message 11 of 63
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

reward/cash back aside, this card also has no FTF...which if that is your goal to accumulate rewards and travel internationally, this card would be a good back up incase your visa and amex gets declined.

Yes, Discover has no FTF, but you're going to find a hard time finding somewhere that accepts it. Beyond that, the odds of your Visa and then your Amex being declined at the same time are very very low.

It's amazing the things we worry about that the average person pays no mind to whatsoever. I get having a back up but Discover won't be very useful abroad, even with no FTF.

Message 12 of 63
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

If you don't use it, don't want to keep it, close it.    I like Discover and do indeed use them.  I'm much more about cashback than points, and pretty actively avoid pure points cards as a result.  I may change a year down the road, you never know Smiley Wink  but for now they work.

Seem that you've put some thought into the decision, so, do as you must! 

Message 13 of 63
galahad15
Valued Contributor

I would be reluctant to close a card if closing it would raise my util high enough to significantly drop my credit score.  Ideally, I would try to have limits moved to another card(s) of the same issuer that I want to keep if possible, and then close the card (I actually did this with one of my FNBO cards, some months ago).  Alternatively, I would want to have enough added in util from the CLs on any new cards to offset the CL of the card I would be closing.

ETA:  also keep in mind, there may be older/legacy, pre-CARD Act cards out there whose terms may not be able to be comparably replaced in today's credit market if closed.  At least for the cards issued by the banks, you still might be able to get good terms from the CUs though.

Message 14 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, Discover has no FTF, but you're going to find a hard time finding somewhere that accepts it. Beyond that, the odds of your Visa and then your Amex being declined at the same time are very very low.

It's amazing the things we worry about that the average person pays no mind to whatsoever. I get having a back up but Discover won't be very useful abroad, even with no FTF.

agreed. just throwing another "why he should keep it" reasoning. i was going to close mine because my SL was pretty low. now it has increased 250%, which changed my mind. i just keep it for the uti that it adds.

Message 15 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's probably accepted more than AMEX is, and if you're going to China it's accepted pretty much everywhere (Diner's Club International).

Message 16 of 63
shmacckk
Regular Contributor

If anything I would keep it for the balance transfer offers they provide throughout the year.

I ilke how they offer you choice of taking a balance transfer right to the checking account as well. Never know when you might need to use it!

Message 17 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great point! But maybe it's possible to get the same kinds of BT offers on my NFCU card? I've heard some good things in that respect
Message 18 of 63
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

agreed. just throwing another "why he should keep it" reasoning. i was going to close mine because my SL was pretty low. now it has increased 250%, which changed my mind. i just keep it for the uti that it adds.

Utility issues can be overblown, I'm closing mine with a 19.5k limit I have a 31k limit on my new card so why keep it if you don't need the 19.5k of additional open credit I would never use.  But I only want five personal cards anymore is just a PIA and water downs points from other cards that I like.  I travel and I don't want cash back.

I've arranged my cards for the best use of MR and UR reward point system.  The outlier card is prestige for AA lounge, golf and 4th night free perks and that may change in 2017. 

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Utility issues can be overblown, I'm closing mine with a 19.5k limit I have a 31k limit on my new card so why keep it if you don't need the 19.5k of additional open credit I would never use.  But I only want five personal cards anymore is just a PIA and water downs points from other cards that I like.  I travel and I don't want cash back.

I've arranged my cards for the best use of MR and UR reward point system.  The outlier card is prestige for AA lounge, golf and 4th night free perks and that may change in 2017. 

I would never get rid of my Discover card just because they have American's answering the phone who I can actually understand. 

Plus they bend over backwards for you? Want a new card design tomorrow? Simply ask. Want a fee waived? No problem, done. 

Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.