Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strongly considering closing out my Discover

tag
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

Re: Strongly considering closing out my Discover

Not going to use it, Close It! Just be cognizant youre not going to kill your UTL. 

Message 31 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course not, the card has a relatively small 2.5K limit so I won't even feel it. And the high APR isn't helping either
Message 32 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

My post was also in part to get some insight into how other people who love travel/points use their card
Message 33 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love my Discover card. It is one of my daily drivers and I have some outstanding cards that work for me. That being said, if you don't use it, lose it. That is what I would do. Why keep a card you don't value? 

I am currently evaluating my cards and will likely close a couple also.

Message 34 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover is probably the least accepted card overseas and here in America. I wouldn't feel comfortable having that as my 'main' card either.

If you don't need it, close it. Trim the fat.

American Express is the least accepted card in America. 

Message 35 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My post was also in part to get some insight into how other people who love travel/points use their card

Of course, there are a variety of approaches including:

1) Use points earning cards for everything.    I think this is quite common, especially those always going for "aspirational" awards.   If I need miles for that first class flight to the far east, getting 5% cashback on a category purchase (especially when I might get 2x miles anyway) isn't of interest

2) Maximize rewards on a per transaction basis:  depending on mile valuation, I might use a cashback card for a particular transaction because it earns more

3) [Ignore if it offends...]  For miles earning  MS, some people use cashback cards to offset some of the costs (so I buy 4 cards with a UR earning card, and one with a cashback card say).  Don't find this compelling myself, but that's what some do...

Message 36 of 63
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I found MR and UR points, Amex plat and Prestige are the best for me after a lot of research and the way I like to travel.
You have to research yourself on which travel cards and benefits fit you best.  We all travel in different ways, it's not a one fits all segment.
There's a wealth of info on travel cards and card benefits so have fun looking at all the options.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 37 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yes of course, I've done much research on which cards and which programs and transfer partners would work for me and I've found a strategy that works for me and my needs (UR with a dash of MR).

It's nice to pick people's brains to see how/why they use the ones they do
Message 38 of 63
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover is probably the least accepted card overseas and here in America. I wouldn't feel comfortable having that as my 'main' card either.

If you don't need it, close it. Trim the fat.

American Express is the least accepted card in America. 

Lol, I think I have been to one place in six months that hasn't taken amex, the same might be said for discover as well.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 39 of 63
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

There's such a misconception about who accepts what and it comes down to who has the most advertising money out there to influence the sheep.  I haven't see anywhere that doesn't accept either or both in the past year where you would physically swipe the card.  I do have an oddball electric provider that won't take amex but does take discover online.

Message 40 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.