Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck at 650 for a year. Help!

tag
pt2005
Regular Contributor

Stuck at 650 for a year. Help!

Hi all,

Just found out this info from my AMEX Credit Secure monthly summary. I've been PIFing and staying on top of things for about a year now. But my scores are stuck at 650ish. I think the "Time Since Negative" plays a big part in it. I have 5-6 COs since 2010 but I settled them all with either paid full or partial in 2010. Can you please give me some advice on how to improve my score? Thanks

Your Credit Summary

Your Credit Summary provides a snapshot of your current credit profile.
Count of Records 
Total Accounts23
Hard Inquiries9
Public Records0

Account Types* 
Real Estate Loans0
Installment Loans1
Revolving Credit Accounts8
    Credit Cards4
    Retail Cards4
Total Open Accounts9

Negative Information 
Accounts Listed Negative11
    Accounts in Collections0
Time Since Negative1.8 Years
Current Negative StatusNone
Most Negative StatusFailed to Pay
Debt Summary* 
Real Estate Debt$0.00
Installment Debt$5,551.00
Revolving Debt$1,871.00
Total Debt$7,422.00
Monthly Payment$533.00

Revolving Credit Summary* 
Revolving Credit Limit$10,000.00
Revolving Credit Available$8,129.00
Revolving Credit to Debt Ratio82%

Length of History 
Oldest Account12.8 Years
Average Account Age6.3 Years

FICO Scores 8: EX 731, EQ 731, TU 725

Credit Cards: Chase Freedom 9.5K | AMEX TrueEarnings 4.5K | Cap1 Venture Visa 3.5K | Cap1 QS MC 3.5K | Discover IT 1K | Cap1 Spark Cash 15K | AMEX SimplyCash 9K

Store: PayPal SmartConnect 10K | JCP 5.2K | Banana 3.3K | Walmart 4.5K | Kohls 1.5K | TargetRED 200
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Stuck at 650 for a year. Help!

@pt2005 wrote:

Total Open Accounts9

Negative Information 
Accounts Listed Negative11

Here's your problem.  Those negatives need to age off or be removed.

Message 2 of 11
pt2005
Regular Contributor

Yeah I have 11 negatives (30, 60, 90, 120). They are all closed accounts waiting to fall off in 2014-2016.

Question:

I remember reading somewhere that as "time of negative" gets past 2 years, it does not impact much on the score anymore. Am I correct? With 2013 approach in 2 weeks,  am I correct to say I'll see a big jump in score in 2013?

Thanks

Credit Cards: Chase Freedom 9.5K | AMEX TrueEarnings 4.5K | Cap1 Venture Visa 3.5K | Cap1 QS MC 3.5K | Discover IT 1K | Cap1 Spark Cash 15K | AMEX SimplyCash 9K

Store: PayPal SmartConnect 10K | JCP 5.2K | Banana 3.3K | Walmart 4.5K | Kohls 1.5K | TargetRED 200
Message 3 of 11
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Your negatives will impact you until the day they drop. Will they impact you less with time? Yes. But there is no dramatic bump at two years, especially not from the 650s. Also, if there were, it would be two years from DOFD. See the thread on the scoring forum, where a guy had a 100 point bump in eq the day his last chargeoff finally fell off.

You will likely get better info in the rebuilding forum. They will tell you to send goodwill letters, dispute what can be disputed, etc. But the only thing that will make a big difference is getting the negatives removed.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You have some great cards and limits when you consider in the negatives!

Now with that said I just think it's going to be time now!

I gained NO score increase when I paid a bad Santander and Capital One Card but I was then able to get Cap1, 8-10 GE Cards, a Infiniti Lease, etc. etc. !! LOL

Unless you HAVE to get scores higher for a house or something, I would just sit back and stay on top of your free CLI (I call them free when it's going to be a SP to do) Amex, PayPal, Banana, JCP.

Keep in mind that your Capital One Business Accounts are reporting to your credit too unlike a Chase Business or Amex that won't report unless delinquent on business cards.

Message 5 of 11
pt2005
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your advice.

I will be in the garden seeing my new account age. I'm so glad I for Chase Freedom, Discover More, and AMEX TrueEarnings. In the mean time, I will be using these 3 as my main cards and see they compete with Auto CLI. For the GE cards, I'll call every 4 months or so to get free CLI. 

Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Amex you need to Call at 62 days and then every 6 months, online or phone, 3x current CL ALWAYS

Discover I believe you can request and it will then give you option to take an offer or possibly HP and get increase... just do soft and then yes with GE always call!

Chase would be an auto CLI in my mind or just not happening since they always HP - frustrates me!

Message 7 of 11
YahComb
Established Contributor

this is just your fako that's been stuck right? they do not have the same sensitivities as your fico. Things that cause my Fico score to drop 12 points do absolutely nothing to my USAA fako.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 8 of 11
distantarray
Established Contributor

@pt2005 wrote:

Yeah I have 11 negatives (30, 60, 90, 120). They are all closed accounts waiting to fall off in 2014-2016.

I have 5-6 COs since 2010 but I settled them all with either paid full or partial in 2010.

with charge ofs since 2010 even if you paid in full or settled, why do you think it's going to fall off on 2014-2016?  It will remain for 7 to 7.5 years unless you can find ways to remove them off your reports which are possible, but the methods can not be generally discussed on this site. Although if you live in NY state you can get them removed in 5 years cause under FCRA of NY States that all paid (or settled) collections are to be removed in 5 years. Although it can be a pain for CRA's to honor it without a letter from the State Attorney general as many reps are unknowlegable about this rule.

Only Chase out of big banks generally delete if you send them a goodwill letter "i screwed up, i would love to do business with you again, is there anyway this could be deleted etc" explaining your situation of why you fell behind, and mentioning that you've paid in full or settled for the account since etc.

Regardless this section of the site is for credit cards, not nessasarily about credit scores Smiley Happy you would have better luck in the credit repair section of the site.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 11
pt2005
Regular Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@pt2005 wrote:

I have 5-6 COs since 2010 but I settled them all with either paid full or partial in 2010.

with charge ofs since 2010 even if you paid in full or settled, why do you think it's going to fall off on 2014-2016?  It will remain for 7 to 7.5 years unless you can find ways to remove them off your reports which are possible, but the methods can not be generally discussed on this site. Although if you live in NY state you can get them removed in 5 years cause under FCRA of NY States that all paid (or settled) collections are to be removed in 5 years. Although it can be a pain for CRA's to honor it without a letter from the State Attorney general as many reps are unknowlegable about this rule.

Only Chase out of big banks generally delete if you send them a goodwill letter "i screwed up, i would love to do business with you again, is there anyway this could be deleted etc" explaining your situation of why you fell behind, and mentioning that you've paid in full or settled for the account since etc.

Regardless this section of the site is for credit cards, not nessasarily about credit scores Smiley Happy you would have better luck in the credit repair section of the site.

Thank you. I figured I posted to the wrong section. But I learn a lot from you guys. I live in California. The 2014-2016 fall off time was reported in my Experian dispute/report.

I'll be happy if Mod moves this post to "Rebuilding Credit".

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.