Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with low limit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stuck with low limit cards

Haha not running out to apply for anything just yet. Really protecting my inquiries now. Already got the Costco Membership Smiley Wink

Just been reading around the forums, some great info on here.

What I do want to know is would closing to two lowest limit cards ($300Limit) help at all? I know it would throw off my ratio but not really worried about that as I keep that down anyway. Just seems always get the limits other cards already gave me, looking to graduate to something better which might actually serve a purpose besides building credit.

Message 21 of 43
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Haha not running out to apply for anything just yet. Really protecting my inquiries now. Already got the Costco Membership Smiley Wink

Just been reading around the forums, some great info on here.

What I do want to know is would closing to two lowest limit cards ($300Limit) help at all? I know it would throw off my ratio but not really worried about that as I keep that down anyway. Just seems always get the limits other cards already gave me, looking to graduate to something better which might actually serve a purpose besides building credit.

after i got my primes i droped the AF and low limit cards as fast as i could

Message 22 of 43
Smug
Established Contributor

I went for NFCU they gave me a 10k card, after that other followed.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 23 of 43
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Smug wrote:

how long ago?

Message 24 of 43
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So here's my situation, I'm rebuilding my credit, didn't know much about credit made some bad choices and destroyed my credit. I'm on the recovery path and currently have FICOs in the mid 600s, only one recent 30 day late and that's about to hit two years, very low debt ratio, only one credit pull (well three was rate shopping auto) in the last year.

Now, my current credit cards are:

HSBC 520CL

Orchard 300CL

Best Buy(HSBC) 300CL

FPB 800CL

Cap1 750CL

Cap1 800CL

Amex Pref Gold Charge Card

Care Credit 4100CL (cosigner)

I have strong income, about $120,000 but due to my bad early credit have low limits on my cards, the credit limits I've received on these cards have all been small in the 100-200 range. My amex I charge 2-5k a month on and payoff no problems.

What I want to know is what's the best approach for getting credit cards with decent limits on them? Should I try getting better increases on current cards? Apply for a new card (just fear getting another 300CL starter card), do I need to wait to get into the 700FICO range.

It just seems that the credit card companies are only lending what I've already got.

go on american express web site, see what cards are you are pre-approved for,  hopefully they have a revolver such as Blue Cash Everyday or just plain Blue (only points for rewards) they usually give good limits, i got 6k CL and it was my first card with them and 3 times my highest reporting limit. And I make less than 100k a year. 

Even if they give you a smaller limt to start, at 61 days you can ask for 3x your CL that should get you a decent limit, the card will be back dated, and no HP unless you are approved, might as well use your relationship with Amex. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 25 of 43
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So here's my situation, I'm rebuilding my credit, didn't know much about credit made some bad choices and destroyed my credit. I'm on the recovery path and currently have FICOs in the mid 600s, only one recent 30 day late and that's about to hit two years, very low debt ratio, only one credit pull (well three was rate shopping auto) in the last year.

Now, my current credit cards are:

HSBC 520CL

Orchard 300CL

Best Buy(HSBC) 300CL

FPB 800CL

Cap1 750CL

Cap1 800CL

Amex Pref Gold Charge Card

Care Credit 4100CL (cosigner)

I have strong income, about $120,000 but due to my bad early credit have low limits on my cards, the credit limits I've received on these cards have all been small in the 100-200 range. My amex I charge 2-5k a month on and payoff no problems.

What I want to know is what's the best approach for getting credit cards with decent limits on them? Should I try getting better increases on current cards? Apply for a new card (just fear getting another 300CL starter card), do I need to wait to get into the 700FICO range.

It just seems that the credit card companies are only lending what I've already got.

go on american express web site, see what cards are you are pre-approved for,  hopefully they have a revolver such as Blue Cash Everyday or just plain Blue (only points for rewards) they usually give good limits, i got 6k CL and it was my first card with them and 3 times my highest reporting limit. And I make less than 100k a year. 

Even if they give you a smaller limt to start, at 61 days you can ask for 3x your CL that should get you a decent limit, the card will be back dated, and no HP unless you are approved, might as well use your relationship with Amex. 

totally agree

Message 26 of 43
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@Smug wrote:

Details, please.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 27 of 43
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@JusdoNit wrote:

@Smug wrote:

Details, please.

yes, more please

Message 28 of 43
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Can you get in with NFCU?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 29 of 43
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
Can you get in with NFCU?

not me,, i lost my dd214 in a house fire back in 89

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.