Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student CC

tag
NinComPoop
Contributor

Student CC

Can anyone suggest a student card for 680 TU and EQ fico's? I pay my balance in full monthly with 30% util currently reporting. I have 2 30 day late payments that are 1.8 years old, my oldest account is 2.8 years, and my AAoA is 1 year. I'm thinking about applying for Discover or Citi. Will never do business with BOA. Has anyone been approved with similar numbers?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
keith021
Regular Contributor

Re: Student CC

How many inquiries do you currently have?

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

In August i got approved for the student discover card. My scores were around 650 but i've never missed a payment. One think to consider is that discover doesn't usually start you off with a high CL but every three months for the first year they review your account to a CLI.

I hope this help  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 3 of 5
NinComPoop
Contributor

Thank you for your reponses. I have 1 new inquiry with NFCU a few days ago and no other inquires that are affecting my score according to myfico's CR. I'm still going thru the process with NFCU and recently sent last 2 paystubs, so hopefully I will be approved. The reason I want to get another card is just to have a new CC that isn't a credit union. I've heard that isn't a good thing for fico scores.

I currently have a secured CC with my local union SECU in maryland, have Household and First Premier. I plan to cancel FP this month. I'm thinking about going with Capital One, but think Discover or Citi may be a better option to startout with a student card. I don't care if the limit is that small because I just want to get my foot in the door.

Message 4 of 5
keith021
Regular Contributor

@NinComPoop wrote:

Thank you for your reponses. I have 1 new inquiry with NFCU a few days ago and no other inquires that are affecting my score according to myfico's CR. I'm still going thru the process with NFCU and recently sent last 2 paystubs, so hopefully I will be approved. The reason I want to get another card is just to have a new CC that isn't a credit union. I've heard that isn't a good thing for fico scores.

I currently have a secured CC with my local union SECU in maryland, have Household and First Premier. I plan to cancel FP this month. I'm thinking about going with Capital One, but think Discover or Citi may be a better option to startout with a student card. I don't care if the limit is that small because I just want to get my foot in the door.

Since you only have 1 inquiry, I would give Citi a shot. Discover is very sensitive to utilization and length of credit history, most students don’t even have a long credit history to begin with.

Anyhow…

This is a little off topic, but I’m still going to share. I actually tried to recon 3 times with Discover and it resulted in 3 hard inquires on my Transunion report and three different reasons as to why my application wasn’t approved (none was related to inquires). First denial was said to be because I had/have a derogatory item on my Transunion file, which was incorrect, I showed proof by faxing a copy of my credit report and it was under review again. My second denial was said to be that I wasn’t attending a four year university, which I am, I faxed a copy of my transcript for proof and my enrollment was verified. My third denial after the other two were proven to be correct; was that I had a $204 balance showing on a CC with a $500 CL. What I didn’t understand, was why this wasn’t mentioned in the first two denials? They considered it high utilization and that was the final decision they gave me. Till this day I NEVER received any letters in the mail explaining the reasons for my denials. By law, they should have notified me in writing with a decision within 30 days, correct? All of the representatives I spoke with at Discover were rather rude and nonchalant toward me for some reason. I still think my application should have been approved. Sorry for the rant and getting off topic—I just had to share!

Give Citi a try! Smiley Wink

Message Edited by keith021 on 01-09-2010 11:46 AM

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.