Contributor
NinComPoop

Student CC

Can anyone suggest a student card for 680 TU and EQ fico's? I pay my balance in full monthly with 30% util currently reporting. I have 2 30 day late payments that are 1.8 years old, my oldest account is 2.8 years, and my AAoA is 1 year. I'm thinking about applying for Discover or Citi. Will never do business with BOA. Has anyone been approved with similar numbers?
Regular Contributor
keith021

Re: Student CC

How many inquiries do you currently have?

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Frequent Contributor
shyboy

In August i got approved for the student discover card. My scores were around 650 but i've never missed a payment. One think to consider is that discover doesn't usually start you off with a high CL but every three months for the first year they review your account to a CLI.

I hope this help  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Contributor
NinComPoop

Thank you for your reponses. I have 1 new inquiry with NFCU a few days ago and no other inquires that are affecting my score according to myfico's CR. I'm still going thru the process with NFCU and recently sent last 2 paystubs, so hopefully I will be approved. The reason I want to get another card is just to have a new CC that isn't a credit union. I've heard that isn't a good thing for fico scores.

I currently have a secured CC with my local union SECU in maryland, have Household and First Premier. I plan to cancel FP this month. I'm thinking about going with Capital One, but think Discover or Citi may be a better option to startout with a student card. I don't care if the limit is that small because I just want to get my foot in the door.

Regular Contributor
keith021

[ Edited ]

NinComPoop wrote:

Thank you for your reponses. I have 1 new inquiry with NFCU a few days ago and no other inquires that are affecting my score according to myfico's CR. I'm still going thru the process with NFCU and recently sent last 2 paystubs, so hopefully I will be approved. The reason I want to get another card is just to have a new CC that isn't a credit union. I've heard that isn't a good thing for fico scores.

I currently have a secured CC with my local union SECU in maryland, have Household and First Premier. I plan to cancel FP this month. I'm thinking about going with Capital One, but think Discover or Citi may be a better option to startout with a student card. I don't care if the limit is that small because I just want to get my foot in the door.

Since you only have 1 inquiry, I would give Citi a shot. Discover is very sensitive to utilization and length of credit history, most students don’t even have a long credit history to begin with.

Anyhow…

This is a little off topic, but I’m still going to share. I actually tried to recon 3 times with Discover and it resulted in 3 hard inquires on my Transunion report and three different reasons as to why my application wasn’t approved (none was related to inquires). First denial was said to be because I had/have a derogatory item on my Transunion file, which was incorrect, I showed proof by faxing a copy of my credit report and it was under review again. My second denial was said to be that I wasn’t attending a four year university, which I am, I faxed a copy of my transcript for proof and my enrollment was verified. My third denial after the other two were proven to be correct; was that I had a $204 balance showing on a CC with a $500 CL. What I didn’t understand, was why this wasn’t mentioned in the first two denials? They considered it high utilization and that was the final decision they gave me. Till this day I NEVER received any letters in the mail explaining the reasons for my denials. By law, they should have notified me in writing with a decision within 30 days, correct? All of the representatives I spoke with at Discover were rather rude and nonchalant toward me for some reason. I still think my application should have been approved. Sorry for the rant and getting off topic—I just had to share!

Give Citi a try! :smileywink:

Message Edited by keith021 on 01-09-2010 11:46 AM

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}