Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Cards question

tag
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Student Cards question

My wife and I would both like to apply for the Discover It and Citi Forward student credit cards. We have both been students for 2 years now, however I am currently enrolled in the fall semester while she is taking this upcoming semester off and then will be going back to school in the spring. We both have a college checking account with our bank.

Is my wife still elligible for the student card from both companies? We both have a fico score of 719 and 8 months of credit history, should we just apply for the normal cards? Thanks!

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Re: Student Cards question

Damn....Just got off the phone with Citi and they said you have to be currently enrolled in classes to be eligible. That screws up my plans...I guess we can apply for the Discover It normal card, but now I need another card for us to apply for, any suggestions? Do you think we would be accepted for the normal Discover It card?

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Message 2 of 11
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

Now I'm thinking I could apply for the Citi student card and then have my wife as an AU? That would be the same thing as both of us getting our own pretty much right? Still not sure whether to apply for the Discover student version or normal version....definitely need some advice Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yes, you can get the cc and add her as an AU. I don't have any experience in this millennium on apping for student cc's but I would guess the credit req would be easier, terms probably different and you might be capped at a CL due to a lower income.

These are all assumptions -YMMV
Message 4 of 11
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Yes, you can get the cc and add her as an AU. I don't have any experience in this millennium on apping for student cc's but I would guess the credit req would be easier, terms probably different and you might be capped at a CL due to a lower income.

These are all assumptions -YMMV

Okay thanks....I was just doing some more research and read you need to be going to a 4 year university? I'm currently at a 2 year college earning my associates degree...

Message 5 of 11
closschumacher

I have regular discover it and they're stingy with their lines... so be warned there.

I had wells fargo student credit card with a $700 line and cash back bonuses for a year- and then they closed my account just last week after they found out i was graduating from graduate school next month...so be careful on who you apply with- because it's easier to stick with regular credit cards since many "student" credit cards do not offer CLI or worse....conversions to regular accounts upon graduation. it's a whole new inquiry on your report, it's an account closure...all kinds of ickies. My advice- apply for discover it and be done.

CLS

My Wallet:
Wal-Mart Credit Card: $2500 (opened 10/2010) Wal-Mart Discover: $1500 (opened 3/2013) Southwest RR: $5000 (opened 2/2013)
Citi Diamond Preferred: $1400 (opened 2/2013) Capital One Business Spark: $500 (opened 6/2013) PayPal Smart Connect: $3000 (opened 12/2010) Discover IT: $1000 (opened 2/2013) Woodforest Bank: $1500 (opened 3/2013) Wells Fargo Cash Back: $1000 (opened 3/2013)
Message 6 of 11
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@closschumacher wrote:

I have regular discover it and they're stingy with their lines... so be warned there.

I had wells fargo student credit card with a $700 line and cash back bonuses for a year- and then they closed my account just last week after they found out i was graduating from graduate school next month...so be careful on who you apply with- because it's easier to stick with regular credit cards since many "student" credit cards do not offer CLI or worse....conversions to regular accounts upon graduation. it's a whole new inquiry on your report, it's an account closure...all kinds of ickies. My advice- apply for discover it and be done.

CLS

Advice taken, thank you

Message 7 of 11
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

IMO I think both you and your wife can apply for the student cards... At the app they just ask what school you are attending... And everything else is the same as apping for a regular credit card...

When I app for my forward I just put my school name n telephone and after filling out everything else I was approve instantly... No vertification of student statuts or w.e.... And usually if they do want to verify you can send in a copy of your student I.D, or like tuition bill

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 8 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Underwriting for student cards are generally more lenient for people with thin files and lower income, but not bad files.

If you already have established quite a bit of credit history, skip student cards altogether and get the regular version.

Also, each lender varies with regards to the eligibility of student cards. Some require you to be currently enrolled, some require you to be enrolled in a 4 year accredited college, etc. it's best to read the exact T&C or call and ask if you have any doubt.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 11
sergi0wned
Contributor

FWIW, when I applied for the Discover IT student I had to verify my enrollment. They gave a list of options, including photo ID, a screenshot of your schedule, a transcript, a note from the registrar, or a variety of other options. If they say that they require a 4 year degree program and you're going for you AD, I wouldn't risk it. The good news is that with the history you have, you should qualify for the regular version!

When I applied for the Citi Forward student, on the other hand, I didn't have to provide any proof. I just selected the box and got instantly approved. I would double check the terms before you and your wife apply, but assuming your programs count, you should be golden with that! 

20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.