Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student: Citi or Bank of America ?

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Student: Citi or Bank of America ?

My Discover Student More finally reported for the first time since opening it in Sep 2012. I am looking at applying now for another another student card and garden until Fall 2013. I have 4 inquiries on my EQ, 3 on my EX, and 5 on my TU. Three recent inquiries (last six months).Util. is 50‰. AAOA is 3 months, oldest tradeline is 9 months.

I am interested in Citi Forward Student and BankAmericard Rewards Student credit cards. I was told by another member to wait until Discover reported my $1,000 cl so that any newer card would most likely meet or exceed that cl.

Which one would I have better chance of getting approve?
Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Re: Student: Citi or Bank of America ?

Neither, be better than me as a student and go with a credit union. Go ahead and build your history now with a credit union, that way when the time comes to apply for more important loans such as a mortgage, personal loans, auto loans, etc you will be better suited than going with any card from Bank of America or Citi.

I would suggest looking for a way to join Navy Federal. If unable to join Navy Fed look at Pentagon Federal and USAA.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Citi Forward is easier to get but I highly recommend you wait 3 more months before applying.

Message 3 of 8
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I think I should garden until next year. Smiley Happy
Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 4 of 8
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

You have high util with recent inquiries and no history at all. Try waiting 6 months at least and then go for citi forward and cash rewards if you want. By then, with low util, you will surely get approved.

I do not recommend you bank of america at all but if you want the rewards they offer, you may as well get good use for that card.

If you manage to get these 6 months of good history with discover, it is possible for your score to be in the 700s area.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 5 of 8
SportBike4Life
Regular Contributor

Definitely the Citi Forward before any Bank of America credit cards. Then try for amex blue cash or chase. 

Jun 2012 FICO® ~ 734 EQ
Sep 2012 FICO® ~ 684 EQ; 734 TU
Oct 2012 FICO® ~ TBA

Goal for 2014 ~760+

Trying to stay in the garden...but also trying to get as many apps as possible for now Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 8
NiNoMArksLA
Contributor

what dose the garden mean?

Message 7 of 8
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Not applying for credit card, loan, CLI, etc.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.