Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Lates and Credit Cards

tag
kats_rebuild
Contributor

Student Loan Lates and Credit Cards

I wanted to share a bit about my rebuild story that hopefully will shed some light on the effect of student loan baddies and obtaining credit cards and auto loans. In 2011, I had 4 student loan tradelines that all had multiple lates. Many even had a few 120+ late notations. In the summer of 2011, I took finally took control and responsibility for the mistakes and worked hard to get the loans current. Only one loan was eligible for the rehab program, so I did that. The others I made additional payments until they were brought current and then started making the regular monthly payment, on-time, every month. 

Despite completing the rehab program and having the default removed, the lates remained and my credit score only increased by about 30 points. I was literally stuck in the low 600s and the countless goodwill letters to Nelnet got me nowhere. 

Despite the low score and remining lates on my report, I was able to rebuild fairly successfully. I did it the fairly typical way, started with secured cards, as those aged I applied for unsecured cards from Cap 1 and then edged my way into better lenders like AMEX and Chase. Despite the growth of positive history and positive tradelines my score barely moved. I hovered around 660 for years. What I wanted to share was that EVERY card in my signature below was obtained while my score was between 650 and 680. I got prime cards with decent limits despite 20+ lates showing. I also financed a new car through Chase with a 2.39% APR for 60 months in December 2013.

I know my scores will never be stellar until the lates finally start to fall off, but I'm thankful that lenders started to give me a chance despite my relatively low score.

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Lates and Credit Cards

WOW!

And I thought I did well! I had a few lates as well in the 630-640 range for some time. 

Did you ever try sending goodwill letters?  Didn't help me out at all. The only thing that saved me was lurking at myfico and joining.  What a relief. Cuz honestly, we both could just stop pushing for more and still be relatively comfortable for quite some time.

You know what I am most happy about? That you and I both only have ONE capital one card. I think that is a huge accomplishment and speaks volumes!

Message 2 of 5
kats_rebuild
Contributor

I tried goodwill letters and emails but really got nowhere. I would get answers back that the loans are reporting accurately (which they are). I read on the Student Loan forum that people were having some recent luck with Nelnet so I might try again. It's been about 12 months since my last go at getting lates removed.

And I totally agree with you. I love that I'm at a place where I can just relax and let the lates age. If I hadn't read all the posts here I never would have been able to get this far. I found that student loan baddies are some of the hardest to get rid of. At times I wished my mistakes were collections that I could have PFD'd. 

At one point I had 3 open Cap 1 cards but as I started to get more approvals I closed the lower limit tradelines and stuck with the QS1 and watched it grow. It started with a limit of $1000 and was all auto CLIs. I even got the annual fee removed permanently back in 2013. A Cap1 starter was so helpful in this process and also enabled me to avoid the super predatory lenders like First Premier.

Chase CSR 22,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,000 | Chase CSP 10,000| USAA Cash Back $7,000 | AA Silver Aviator Card $10,000 | AMEX Everyday $9,000 | Chase Freedom $3,000 | Capital One Cash Rewards $4,000 | Discover IT $4500 | Nordstrom Store Card $2000
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar story. Three student loan trade lines with multiple lates that were refinanced but still appear on my report. My scores are stuck in the 630-640 range but in the last few months I've been able to get prime cards from Chase and recently my first AMEX. The bad loans and two paid collections will all fall off next year. Just in time for me but my first house!
Message 4 of 5
red259
Super Contributor

My scores are kept low by my student loan lates as well (my loans entered repayment and I didn't realize and missed the first few months of payments). They are scheduled to drop off in a year. Over the past two years I have been able to build up my credit history pretty well with 20k+  credit limit lines so it can be done with student loan lates.My score would be much higher without the lates that is for sure, but I believe most the lenders are giving those litttle if any weight at this point when reviewing my apps (when I was first starting out I did have to answer questions about them but I had other student loan lates from 2007 drop off since then).  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.