Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student card

My older sister is back in school to finish her degree. She is in her early 40s and I was wondering if she was still eligible for a student card?  I didn't know if age disqualified you?

the bank she has her checking/savings with has a student card (citi).

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: Student card

Good for her! Depends on the bank I think. But if she has a ".edu" email address, she should use it when she applies.

I got the Student Discover card this year I'm 40. (Perpetual student as I work at a college and get to take classes etc.) I used my school email and they actually rejected my offer to send in proof when I offered.

I do know some student checking/savings accounts have age restrictions though.

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 11
gibeon
Established Contributor

Here's citi's terms, so she should be good.

You must be 18 years of age or older
You must have a valid Social Security Number
You must be a college or graduate student

That's all they say about it.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my 30s and Discover wanted to give me a student card.

Message 4 of 11
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I had a student Discover More card and Citi Forward card when I was in my early 30's when I was taking part time classes. I eventually converted my Discover card to the nonstudent it card and my Forward is still a student card several years after I have graduated.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

She got turned down for Citi Student and Discover chrome student

Bummer
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can she apply for Navy is she no longer serves but is still a member? She has a savings account with them. I didn't know if you could still app after discharge?
Message 7 of 11
gibeon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can she apply for Navy is she no longer serves but is still a member? She has a savings account with them. I didn't know if you could still app after discharge?

Yes, if she is still a member of the Credit Union. Membership is good for life, once you're in.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow she got approved for 11,000 with Navy and EQ was by far the worst score

Citi pulled EX and Discover pulled TU
Message 9 of 11
DeejCake

Wow congrats! I'm sorry about her being denied by Citi and Discover. I have both cards. What about Capital One Journey Student Rewards?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.