Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student credit card after graduation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student credit card after graduation?

So I have posted here before, stating I had a 754 FICO score (according to this site) and only one souce of credit- a credit card I got in November 2009.

I was asking how to improve my credit history and was advised to get another credit card. So, I settled on the Citi Forward card for college students and just received it this month.

However, I am done with college classes and will receive my college diploma in August.

So some questions- Does my graduation affect my credit card usage? Can I upgrade or will my account be automatically closed when they find out I'm no longer a student? Does it show up on my credit history as a student card? Should I tell Citi I wanted the regular Forward credit card instead?

I'm new to this so any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: Student credit card after graduation?

I got my Student Platinum Plus from Bank of America this month although my status at college is 'senior'. 

When I received the card, the expiration date was 2015. It reported three days after I opened the account and it didn't say it was a Student card.

So I guess you're good as long as you keep it a good standing. I'd PC in a few months when you're eligible to do a CLI.

Current Cards:
Message 2 of 4
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

The card will not be closed after you graduate. There is ni advantage to changing to the regular forward right now. Once you have been working full time for a while (a year, or 6 months if impatient) you can call and ask for conversion to standard forward. The only advantage to doing so would be to seek a higher credit limit, since otherwise the cards are the same.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Student cards are great, you should stick with the Citi Forward, there is virtually no real difference between it and the "normal" Citi Forward.  You can call next yr and ask for a conversion.  The account will not automatically close.  I'm still carrying the Student Discover I got in 1999.  Its my oldest account and converted to a normal Discover More at some point. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.