cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student credit cards - full or partime student?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Student credit cards - full or partime student?

Im curious...what makes you eligible for student cards? (ex. Discover student card)  Do you have to be full time or part time student?  Are the credit criteria for student cards easier than for non-student cards? Do student cards upgrade to non-student card versions?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Student credit cards - full or partime student?

@Duncanrr wrote:

Im curious...what makes you eligible for student cards? (ex. Discover student card)  Do you have to be full time or part time student?  Are the credit criteria for student cards easier than for non-student cards? Do student cards upgrade to non-student card versions?

Not sure if part time counts but I seem to remember for most of them, they don't.  Criteria for student cards are easier.  But easier in a builder sort of way, not rebuilder.  They are easier when it comes to things like income, thin files, and AAoA.  It is no easier when it comes to things like late payments, charge offs, etc.  Given your scores, I would guess you have some so I wouldn't bother with student cards.  Also, student cards aren't necessarily labeled as such by card issuers so there isn't necessarily a graduation per say.  Basically, relaxed standards result in lower starting CLs to the point where that lower CL would have resulted in a rejection otherwise.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 5
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Hmm from the looks of it if you get your eq scores in the 680's you can get approved without it being a student card.  I was told by a rep that students can start of with lower CL's than if you were applying for reg card.  I opted to not go for a student card as my scores were in 680's and was approved with 1,000 cl, GL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have apped for both discover and BOA student cards recently. Boa really didnt seem to care or investigate if i was a student, they just asked what school I attend. Discover was a bit of a pain, they wanted to see screenshots of enrollment(classes) or some other form of proof you attend school full time. I know this wasnt that great of an answer to your question, but my point is, it probably varies from CC to CC.

Message 4 of 5
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I have no idea why my EQ score is lagging. It has same on it as TU and is much lower. EX has a couple old cc still reporting so that probably explains why my EX is higher. EQ score is a mystery. It should be around 650 but it's not Smiley Sad

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.