cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student, two lines of credit - getting a third?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student, two lines of credit - getting a third?

So, I'm trying to debate whether or not I should apply for a third credit card. It's not really amounts as much as acceptance (want Amex; have Discover/Visa) and benefits (namely the extended warranty).

I'm a senior in college and presently have no job (this is why I think I'm probably sunk to begin with.

Hard Inquiries:
-Apartment Rental Company in Jan (Transunion)

-Wells Fargo (for credit card) in May (Experian)

-Verizon (For FiOS) in May (Experian)

Lines of credit (all have "paid as agreed", on time, full balance every month):

Individual account, Discover since Sep 2009, $500 Credit limit

Individual Account, Wells Fargo since May 2011, $2000 CL

Authorized User, Target , Date Open 11/2005, $7,500 CL

Authorized User, Chase, Date Open 06/1999, $19,000 CL

Credit score from Wells that arrived with new card:

795, Experian as source

Credit Scores (grain of salt FAKOs from today):

Experian 703
Equifax 722
Transunion 722

Looking for: An American Express Blue card; probably not the one with an annual fee as it is unlikely that my current spend would result in rewards exceeding the annual fee.

Advice? Wait or do it?

I don't want to look desperate for credit and with the inquiries I am afraid that will be what it looks like. I'm not planning on altering my overall spending at all; electronics purchases and purchases at places that take Amex exclusively near me (a few restaraunts, mainly)  would go from other cards/cash to the Amex (if I got it). However, there's no way for American Express to establish that as my intent, so it has to be the sum of the facts instead.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student, two lines of credit - getting a third?

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I'm trying to debate whether or not I should apply for a third credit card. It's not really amounts as much as acceptance (want Amex; have Discover/Visa) and benefits (namely the extended warranty).

I'm a senior in college and presently have no job (this is why I think I'm probably sunk to begin with.

Hard Inquiries:
-Apartment Rental Company in Jan (Transunion)

-Wells Fargo (for credit card) in May (Experian)

-Verizon (For FiOS) in May (Experian)

Lines of credit (all have "paid as agreed", on time, full balance every month):

Individual account, Discover since Sep 2009, $500 Credit limit

Individual Account, Wells Fargo since May 2011, $2000 CL

Authorized User, Target , Date Open 11/2005, $7,500 CL

Authorized User, Chase, Date Open 06/1999, $19,000 CL

Credit score from Wells that arrived with new card:

795, Experian as source

Credit Scores (grain of salt FAKOs from today):

Experian 703
Equifax 722
Transunion 722

Looking for: An American Express Blue card; probably not the one with an annual fee as it is unlikely that my current spend would result in rewards exceeding the annual fee.

Advice? Wait or do it?

I don't want to look desperate for credit and with the inquiries I am afraid that will be what it looks like. I'm not planning on altering my overall spending at all; electronics purchases and purchases at places that take Amex exclusively near me (a few restaraunts, mainly)  would go from other cards/cash to the Amex (if I got it). However, there's no way for American Express to establish that as my intent, so it has to be the sum of the facts instead.

Except for the fact that you have no income, your app looks really good.  Those 3 inquiries probably won't have anything to do with a denial (if you get denied).  They were from a few months ago and two of them were for necessities, more or less. 

Pay any remaining balances on your existing CCs, then apply.  Unless you're planning on getting a job soon, your app won't look much different until those inquiries fall off in 12 months from the date of inquiry.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

So despite the fact that I don't have a job and no recorded income (I'd have to answer 0), you think I have good odds at approval?

I heard on other sites that the Zync is easier to get but I'm not as interested in a card with an annual fee.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am pretty certain under the new credit card laws, anyone under 21 must show their own source of income.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a senior in college, I am 21.

Discover Card was before CARD Act regs were in effect.

At present, I am 21 and thus the "additional proof of ability to repay" clause shouldn't apply.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

So despite the fact that I don't have a job and no recorded income (I'd have to answer 0), you think I have good odds at approval?

I heard on other sites that the Zync is easier to get but I'm not as interested in a card with an annual fee.

No, I'm saying that if not for being unemployed, you have a good, though young, history.

Zync also doesn't show on your report the same way that a credit card does.  Zync is a NPSL charge card.

Message 6 of 8
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Personally; since you are only looking for one more card; I'd give it a go. Short of not having a job; everything looks great.

I was approved for BlueCash with only 16 months of credit history. And I think I had over a dozen inquiries at the time. 

If you get declined, try again in December (so you can retain 2011 for future back dating). 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes...@ 21 you are good to go.

Zync is easier to get, but that holds true for most charge cards versus credit cards. My daughter got the Zync with only 4 months history and only one Cap1 card.

I would recommend that you apply for the card that you want. In this case, the BCE.

I agree with poster above. I would apply now, and if no go, try again Dec. 

Your INQ should be fine. I have the BCE. It is a great card to card to carry IMO.

Good luck with school and the card! HOPE YOU GET IT!!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.