cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student using wifes income- illegal or gray area?

tag
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student using wifes income- illegal or gray area?

@Simba501 wrote:

I've seen applications that explicitly state that it is OK to use anyone else's income you regularly use to pay your expenses.

Yup, some also clearly state to ONLY use the applicants income.

my wife's income is about $10,000 a year while mine is currently $22,000 (can't wait till September going up to $38,00. Smiley Happy ) but we used bothofour incomes on her Cap One secured card to start her credit building and they said that was just fine.

the only downfall is the fraud department didnt like it coming from MY account. Lol.

Message 11 of 12
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Student using wifes income- illegal or gray area?

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

If you're married, you can claim both combined incomes. You're in the clear in that regard.

The real question is whether or not you can or should claim student loans as income.

My understanding is that loans cannot be counted as income. Scholarships, stipends, and grants can be counted, but loans cannot because they are just additional debt that a person has rather than actual income. 

Contrary to popular belief and arguably common sense you CAN claim a part of student loans in your individual income. Specifically the portion of loan proceeds that is used for day to day living expenses. The CFPB specifically allows it.

EtoA:

In addition, unless the app specifies "individual income" one again may use income one reasonably has access to. This includes spousal income in community property states as well as any income deposited in joint accounts in non-community property states.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.