Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student with 6 months...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student with 6 months...

My Disco secured just turned 6 months. Hoping to unsecure next month and see it report a higher CL and unsecured status.

Then I shall app!!!

Ex FICO 8 is at 719 although it'll probably go down per http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Experian-sees-double/m-p/4830913

I do have a decent part-time income but I am a full-time student.

I have a decent part-time income. While I do really want to go to Chase (I already bank there and like the Chase Freedom and now the new Amazon.com card!) but it seems it'd be wise to wait for a year of history...

Looking at the Cap1 Journey Student with the hope of a PC to QSR. Is this more or less guaranteed if I garden or should I be weary about student products that may stick me with a low CL for life?

Any other recomendations? I looked at the WF student card but have the same concern as the Cap1. Would I have a good shot at the BofA student card? I've seen people having trouble with the Citi student card and the rewards aren't any better for me than the Disco.

Note too I had a rough start with inquiries... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Student-with-a-thin-file/td-p/4787846 I was denied at Chase, BofA, and even Cap1 in July 2016. I wish I could get prequals but Obama signed away that one.

Also question about the Cap1 card finder. It wants your full SSN unlike Chase, BofA, etc. with last 4 only. Any reason why? Might they do an HP?

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student with 6 months...

Do you have a shared/secured loan reporting? Low util?

I would consider NFCU or PenFed. You could also ask if you have any CC offers the next time you visit Chase.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you have a shared/secured loan reporting? Low util?

I would consider NFCU or PenFed. You could also ask if you have any CC offers the next time you visit Chase.

No other lines of credit. Util the first few months was at ~15%. Since then I've been keeping it to ~1%.

I've looked at those two CU's but don't qualify for either. I could stop in to Chase tomorrow. Do you think they'd have any offers in-branch that they don't online? Also would it be wiser to wait until Disco unsecures and I get hopefully an auto CLI and an SP CLI?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have Chase but have read of others having luck in branch. You could wait if you want, but I do not think there is a guaranteed graduation at 7.

As for the CU's: search for NLSD.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I do not have Chase but have read of others having luck in branch. You could wait if you want, but I do not think there is a guaranteed graduation at 7.

As for the CU's: search for NLSD.

No guaranteed graduation but seeing as I've done no wrong I'm hopeful! I'll take a look for the CU's. Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.