Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student with no credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student with no credit history

So I recently applied for the capital one MTV credit card, and got approved, my credit limit was $300. Recently I received a preaproved letter from citi bank that I am approved for the Citi Dividend card. Should I apply for this card? or should I wait for a better offer from another bank, or do you think one credit card is enough for now. Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Student with no credit history

I would say give it six months, prove your self with this card, let it report ~$30 balance each month, then apply, and you should be able to get a hefty limit.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

if I apply for the citi card now, would my credit limit go up over time?

Message 3 of 5
smc733
Valued Contributor

Certainly would, that CapOne card likely won't grow with you, but that's ok, I had a builder card, and I dumped it after I got situated.  My recommendation would be this.  You could get the Citi card now, then in 6 months, get a Discover Student Card, then cancel the CapOne, I'm a big fan of getting rid of builder cards early, and not keeping them around for "age" as some suggest.

My guess is with a college income, you'll probably get $800-$1,500 for a limit on the Citi, but mine started at $1,200 with a college income, and a year later it's $5,000, Citi grows with you, very well.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 5
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I recently applied for the capital one MTV credit card, and got approved, my credit limit was $300. Recently I received a preaproved letter from citi bank that I am approved for the Citi Dividend card. Should I apply for this card? or should I wait for a better offer from another bank, or do you think one credit card is enough for now. Thank you.

With citi, don't trust their pre approvals at all. IMHO, they send out the weakest pre approvals. Their pre approvals may not even be backed by a soft pull, its more like a marketing brochure.

Most other banks are decently robust on pre approvals.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.