Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid Sears ... or stupid me!

tag
bmagnant
Valued Member

Stupid Sears ... or stupid me!

I am building a new house. I went into Sears this weekend to pick out appliances. I selected over $7000 worth of stuff. At the checkout I am told my Sears card isn't valid. We call card support and they tell me the account has been closed for inactivity. I ask them to turn it back on and they won't. So I walk out with my $7000 to another store.  

Must be nice to have so many customers you can turn that kind of activity away.

I am currently building a house, so I did not want to re-apply and open a new tradeline.

Brent 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stupid Sears ... or stupid me!

In this economy Sears turned there back on a $7000. sales transactions your right Sears must have soooo many customers now that they can turn away that kind of money...
Message 2 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Many firms are now closing accounts for inactivity.  You can't fault them, it makes no sense for them to keep accounts open that aren't used.  And once closed they usually can't be reopened without reapplying and getting a new account with a new number.  I can't fault Sears for their action.  You could have reapplied for a new account with them on the spot.  I ran into the same thing with an Ethan Allen account we had when we bought some furniture back in 2003, they closed it a couple of years ago for inactivity.  In April we ordered $9,000 of patio furniture for our new sunroom and they couldn't put it on the old account.  I could have used a Visa or AMEX card but then I wouldn't have gotten the 12 months free interest offer.  Figured it was worth it to reapply for a new account and was immediately approved for a $20,000 CL even though I got dinged for an inquiry.  Credit management is incumbent on you and it isn't free.  Trade lines are no longer kept open forever, they are there to be used.  If you don't use them, you lose them.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Watchmann wrote:
Many firms are now closing accounts for inactivity.  You can't fault them, it makes no sense for them to keep accounts open that aren't used. 

I agree with that.But for any company to turn away from $7000. is just crazy.Wheather he apped for a new TL or not they should of tried to get that sale not just turn a customer away...

Message 4 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:
Many firms are now closing accounts for inactivity.  You can't fault them, it makes no sense for them to keep accounts open that aren't used. 

I agree with that.But for any company to turn away from $7000. is just crazy.Wheather he apped for a new TL or not they should of tried to get that sale not just turn a customer away...

What would you want Sears to do?  They would have taken any Visa, MC or AMEX, or check, or cash.  I don't know the details but it sounds like the OP didn't want to use any option other than his closed Sears account.  If the account is closed and off the system that option just isn't available.  I still don't see how you can fault Sears, and I'm no great Sears fan. 
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I owned a business I wouldn't let $7,000.00 walk out the door. 
Message Edited by gigi5 on 06-03-2009 09:08 AM
Message 6 of 19
bmagnant
Valued Member

What would you want Sears to do?  They would have taken any Visa, MC or AMEX, or check, or cash.  I don't know the details but it sounds like the OP didn't want to use any option other than his closed Sears account.  If the account is closed and off the system that option just isn't available.  I still don't see how you can fault Sears, and I'm no great Sears fan. 

I'm the OP. There was an additional 5% discount if you used your Sears card. All they had to do to keep my business was offer me the 5% discount with another payment option. I left that out of the original post. That is why I was fixated on the Sears account. I was a little peeved that I never received any notice my account was being closed.
I understand closing an inactive account... I don't understand not wanting to make the sale.

Brent 

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

bmagnant wrote: 

All they had to do to keep my business was offer me the 5% discount with another payment option.

Well there you go,My family owns a small taekwondo business and I would be so P.O. if anyone let a sale walk out the door even if it was a $5.00 sale.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sears has rebounded from the days when they were struggling to get back market share. Now that they are profitable again they have put their snobby noses in the air. Turning away business at will, because they can.

Read this article in the Tribune.

chicago_tribune_logo

So to be honest with you it's both your fault. Because you haven't use the card in awhile and they closed it. (I wouldn't call that being stupid), but they were wrong because if you are credit worthy then they should have soft- pulled your reports and reinstated the cards limit.

KingSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 19
bmagnant
Valued Member

Yes, I could have managed the card better. A small occasional purchase would probably have kept the card active. I can accept that.

Brent 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.