cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid mistake... Charge to wrong card!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stupid mistake... Charge to wrong card!!!

Well heres to my stupidity.. Cheers
Recently went online and purchased a vacation log cabin in Tennessee by Dollywood for four days in July.
Must of punched my Everyday card in wrong because came back a couple days later saying the card wouldn't go through. Card has 0 balance and 13800 limit so I know it's good.
It asked us to resubmit credit card. Got out my card punched in the numbers and 15 minutes later got the amex message that a $1665 went onto my card and was approved. Greatttt
Went to amex site couldn't find were the transaction was approved. Looked at email noticed something wrong, showed I only had $4 available cl available on the card...panic mode
Got to looking and found out I accidentally put the charge onto my blue cash which only had a $2000 cl and already had a $340 balance on card. Hurried and paid that balance off before cutoff.
Next day balance of account was 295 of 2000. Ouchy
Then I remembered how easy it is with amex to transfer cl between accounts and went online and transfered $3800 from my everyday card to blue cash
to make it 5800 instead of 2000 and everday now sits at 10000,instantly approved for the transfer.
Anyone else ever do something this stupid?
If I didnt make the change card would've reported to bureaus at 99% utilization. That would have hurt.
Glad I used my amex for purchase or it wouldn't have been so easy to fix. Just stupidity on my part.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nrm
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stupid mistake... Charge to wrong card!!!

Amex is still hard to beat in customer services.
Message 2 of 7
creditguy
Valued Contributor

It's not really that big of a deal. Your overall utilization is what's a concern, not so much an individual card. It would have been an issue if it were your only card but it wasn't so no harm no foul. Utilization has a short term memory, once you pay it down the short term damage is undone. In your scenario, the only one you need to worry about pleasing is Amex and you appear to be a great customer to them, so don't be so hard on yourself hope you have a great trip. 

Message 3 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

Glad it worked out!  I used to have 2 Venture cards and that was tough at times. They were both about 15k limits but I would use one to carry 0% and the other as a daily driver, switching their purpose from time to time.

When I finally made a 2k charge on the card carrying a 5k 0% balance (and was about to cut at the worst possible time), I grabbed a sharpie and wrote V1 and V2 in big black letters on the front of each. Worked like a charm, lol.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I here that. At least I'm not the only one.
That card reporting that high of utilization would've hurt my scores a bit even though I'm at 9% utilization across cards. More so I'm a little ocd about keeping my utilization down, it would've bothered me.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Amex is really good on customer service and the ability to make your cards work for you, more than any other card company.
Sometimes there approvals are on the low side but even that can be fixed with there 3x policy. So know complaints with amex at all.
Message 6 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Nice to learn a thing or two about Amex accounts. Im glad you got things eorked out Thor!

Oh, and very nice job getting back to back posts from our new CL's lol, kind of makes you feel like a champ huhSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.