Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Prime Credit Cards for Low Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sub Prime Credit Cards for Low Score

I am looking for some advice on which credit card to apply for. I have a Cap 1 secured card and I want to get another card. I am fine with paying the crazy fees and interest just to rebuild for a year or 2. Any advice or experience on what CC is the least terrible? 

thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Sub Prime Credit Cards for Low Score

Capital One is the least terrible of the sub-prime lot IMO.

Message 2 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am looking for some advice on which credit card to apply for. I have a Cap 1 secured card and I want to get another card. I am fine with paying the crazy fees and interest just to rebuild for a year or 2. Any advice or experience on what CC is the least terrible? 

thanks

do ydo you know what your scores are?
Message 3 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks

CapOne is the best of the rebuilders, if you have had your secured card for 3 months or so, you can try for an unsecured card, if you like shopping at walmart you can go for that card, no AF and frequent CLI's... 
Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

myfico for EQ is 520

fako TU- 549 (credit karma) EX- 522

I do have the secured card from cap 1. I was hoping to get 1 more card (either an unsecured card or a store card). I've seen people have good luck with low scores with macys and kohls and vs. I didn't get the pop up for VS in the shopping cart trick... so Idk if that means I will get denied if I  just do the full app. I don't have any inquires except the cap1 secured card so i'm not too worried about having 1 or 2 since i won't be applying for anything else after i get this next card for a year or 2. i just wanted to find something that i have a good chance at getting that won't be too horrible with fees. but i know ruining my credit when i was 18 was a mistake and i gotta pay the price. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i got denied for walmart back in 2012. so i wasn't sure about applying with them again. esp with a low score like mine. :-/ but maybe they would be better about it now? 

Message 6 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

whats utilization on current card.....credit one would probaly approve but its an absolutely horrible card in any regard! maybe first premier, another capone secured, sdfcu secured (its no hp)

Message 7 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

myfico for EQ is 520

fako TU- 549 (credit karma) EX- 522

I do have the secured card from cap 1. I was hoping to get 1 more card (either an unsecured card or a store card). I've seen people have good luck with low scores with macys and kohls and vs. I didn't get the pop up for VS in the shopping cart trick... so Idk if that means I will get denied if I  just do the full app. I don't have any inquires except the cap1 secured card so i'm not too worried about having 1 or 2 since i won't be applying for anything else after i get this next card for a year or 2. i just wanted to find something that i have a good chance at getting that won't be too horrible with fees. but i know ruining my credit when i was 18 was a mistake and i gotta pay the price. 

if the card has the option for the shopping cart trick, and it doesn't show for you, I would wait the cards are fine, but if waiting 3-6 months means you can save an INQ hit and probably get you a better CL, its worth it to wait. Commentity cards usualy have to wait for 9months before you can get a non auto CLI,  check out the GE cards they give frequent CLI's every 4 months, some can graduate, and give you zero percent deals as well. 
Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.