Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subaru Chase MC After BK!

tag
Karunch
Contributor

Subaru Chase MC After BK!

Holy cow! I had been looking at Subaru's website and I saw that there was a Subaru MasterCard offered by Chase, it offers 3% back in Subaru Rewards Dollars up to $500 per year which can be used for a new car, parts, or service at the dealer.  There also is no AF.  It also offers 0% on BT's & Purchases for the first 6 months.  So on a whim I figured that I would apply for it.  I honestly did not think that there was a snowball's chance in h*ll that I'd be approved, since I had a CH7 BK that was discharged in 08/2008 and 2 Chase CC's were IIB.  But I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try.

After I applied I got a 7-10 message, and I ended up getting a letter saying that because my TU was frozen that they could not review my application.  I went and unfroze my TU report and I called back tonight to let them know.  The CSR put me on hold for about 3 minutes and came back saying that my application was approved for $3,000!!!  Surprisingly he never asked me any questions, didn't ask about my BK, etc.  I did log into my Chase online account and the new card is showing up already, and it shows the $3k for the CL and my APR is 16.24%.  This is one of my lower CL's but I'm just glad to have my foot in the door with Chase.

I'm just absolutely shocked that I got approved since I thought that Chase blacklisted and weren't BK friendly.  I don't know if it makes any difference or not but I do have my auto loan for my Subaru through JP Morgan Chase that has been open since 02/2011.  Since my BK discharge my credit has vastly improved (my score is higher now then it ever was before BK), I have not had any late payments, and my income has doubled.  Right now my current UTL is 11%. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Subaru Chase MC After BK!

Congrats, that is definitely an interesting datapoint.

It could be a mix of both being a co-branded card, and also the relationship you've built.  I dropped a broad hint in my recent Freedom recon about Chase being my primary depository institution for the last half year, and when the CSR came back after a bit with an approval, that was one of two datapoints he specifically mentioned as reasons why they changed their decision.

Mainline Chase cards though, Freedom et al, I still think 8 years post BK is sorta a magic number though granted it's YMMV.

        
Message 2 of 13
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I barely got a Freedom 9 yrs, 4 mos after BK. Chase mainline cards are not BK friendly. Congrats OP!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 13
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

WOW I was roaming around for credit cards, and i also noticed that subaru had a MC. WOW SUBARU OUTBACK IS ON MY SISTERS AND I CHECKLIST WHEN WE TOUCH OUR 20s, and defintely getting that credit card. SUBARU AND LAND ROVER FOR LIFESmiley Happy Congrats on approval according to info you provided it can be an esay card to get hmmmm will look into once I can apply for cards under my name. AGAIN CONGRATS!!!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 13
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

This story is very interesting to me, as we are in very similar situations.  Though I've never had a BK, Chase did charge off a CC for about $7500, which I eventually paid after it had gone to collection.  My scores are roughly the same as yours, and like you, I have a car loan on a Subaru with Chase, which I opened in April of 2012.  I tried apping for an Amazon Visa in September and a Freedom in December, and was denied both times because of the CO.  Maybe I'll give this Subaru card a try; I'd really like to get back in with Chase, as they seem to have the best Visa/MC offerings around.  I have very few inquiries on EX, so it would be worth a try (though for my last app with Chase, for some reason they double pulled EX and TU, and I already have more HPs than I'd like on TU). I've still got some high balances reporting from Christmas, but when those are paid off next month, I should be in good shape.  I hope I have as much luck as you did!

Message 5 of 13
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

^^^^ keep us posted!! will be waiting. Smiley Wink

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 6 of 13
Karunch
Contributor

Good luck to you LionLaw, hopefully you can get approved for a card.  Part of the reason that I even tried for the card in the first place was that I was hoping that my car loan through JP Morgan Chase/Subaru would help me.  I assume that's part of what helped me get approved, but I can't say for sure since the guy I spoke to didn't mention it.

Message 7 of 13
jumpinjax
New Contributor

@Karunch wrote:

Holy cow! I had been looking at Subaru's website and I saw that there was a Subaru MasterCard offered by Chase, it offers 3% back in Subaru Rewards Dollars up to $500 per year which can be used for a new car, parts, or service at the dealer.  There also is no AF.  It also offers 0% on BT's & Purchases for the first 6 months.  So on a whim I figured that I would apply for it.  I honestly did not think that there was a snowball's chance in h*ll that I'd be approved, since I had a CH7 BK that was discharged in 08/2008 and 2 Chase CC's were IIB.  But I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try.

After I applied I got a 7-10 message, and I ended up getting a letter saying that because my TU was frozen that they could not review my application.  I went and unfroze my TU report and I called back tonight to let them know.  The CSR put me on hold for about 3 minutes and came back saying that my application was approved for $3,000!!!  Surprisingly he never asked me any questions, didn't ask about my BK, etc.  I did log into my Chase online account and the new card is showing up already, and it shows the $3k for the CL and my APR is 16.24%.  This is one of my lower CL's but I'm just glad to have my foot in the door with Chase.

I'm just absolutely shocked that I got approved since I thought that Chase blacklisted and weren't BK friendly.  I don't know if it makes any difference or not but I do have my auto loan for my Subaru through JP Morgan Chase that has been open since 02/2011.  Since my BK discharge my credit has vastly improved (my score is higher now then it ever was before BK), I have not had any late payments, and my income has doubled.  Right now my current UTL is 11%. 

Hello OP,

What did you do to these three questions on App? -

Yes, my credit history is clear of bankruptcy.

Yes, my credit history is clear of seriously delinquent accounts.

Yes, I have NOT been denied credit by Chase within the last 6 months.

Just curious..

Message 8 of 13
Jkusa
Valued Member

Congrats!!

I've kinda given up on getting another Chase CC as they were included in my BK7 in '08. I do have a checking account with them since its free checking throught my employer.

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/i/custom/FFC_Icon.gif">Starting Score: 652
Current Score: EQ 685 TU 683 EX 699 (their sites FAKO) all as of 03/02/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

I didn't know there was a Subie Card! Ruh-roh...I feel the temptation at the garden gate...must wait until my mortgage reports and UTIL drops more.  Mama wants a new Subie in a few years when I give my Forester to my girls!

Congrats on the nice CL!

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.