Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success: Chase Freedom Recon

tag
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Re: Success: Chase Freedom Recon

Congrats! I've had my Chase Freedom for a little over a month and really like it. Did you get one of their sign-up bonus offers?

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 11 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

I have a funny story about Chase.

They send me "coupons" all the time for $150 cash if I open a checking account with them. I already had one and decided to open another with new money and call it my emergency fund.

Now here's the "funny" part. I had just pulled my credit report and noticed that the analysis of my account was that I had only one account and that I could benefit from one or two more. I WAS going to look into a Kohls Charge card but decided to go to Chase first to open my account and do the bonus thing.

Right as I am opening my account, the CSR tells me that I am pre-approved from a card with them.

Why the hell not?

The card is a 24.99% APR card, but I always carry a 0 balance and am racking up points with it.

My max is $1,400 and gave my DU a nice boost.

I got a bunch of bonus points for getting the card as well and the categories that give you 5% cash back apply to almost everything I buy regularly.

What a life-saver that was for me!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustMe77 wrote:

Congrats! I've had my Chase Freedom for a little over a month and really like it. Did you get one of their sign-up bonus offers?

I believe the one I get is only $100, a touch disappointing seeing the $200 that's offered at some sites if you sign up. We'll see. I tried really, really hard to look past the sign-up bonuses when choosing my primary long-term card, as they don't count for much when you allocate them across 10 years.

Message 13 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the recon!!

I'm so hesitant to app for Chase, I think I have a good shot in 6 months but I want to be 100% sure I get approved.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

cassembler wrote

I believe the one I get is only $100, a touch disappointing seeing the $200 that's offered at some sites if you sign up. We'll see. I tried really, really hard to look past the sign-up bonuses when choosing my primary long-term card, as they don't count for much when you allocate them across 10 years.

if you send them a message online or ring them you can get the difference credited to your account. my sister and mom both asked to be changed to the $300 dollar bonus and since it was within ninety days of the account opening they were able to do it.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

Congrats on the recon!!

I'm so hesitant to app for Chase, I think I have a good shot in 6 months but I want to be 100% sure I get approved.

Kudos to your restraint. If I did not apply now, I wouldn't think about applying for another year since I'm targeting a mortgage in 8-12 months or so. Wanted this inquiry at least six months old, and I figured doubling my credit limit was better for the score than the AAoC hit.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navigatethis12 wrote:

if you send them a message online or ring them you can get the difference credited to your account. my sister and mom both asked to be changed to the $300 dollar bonus and since it was within ninety days of the account opening they were able to do it.

Will try this and see if I'm successful. I use rewards specifically for Christmas spending (to even out the cash flow), so the extra $100-200 could go a long way.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing I noticed on the acceptance letter...

To Obtain a Copy of your Credit Report, contact Experian

Your Credit Score: 654

Scoring System Name: Application Score (noted to range from 100 to 990)

Shows Recent Delenquencies or Past Due Balances

Should I take the "Application Score" to mean Chase is using an internal scoring calculation?

EDIT: My most recent delenquency or past due balance was 8/07... Not very recent methinks.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.