cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success!!! Now how do you guys "garden"?

tag
davidsawsparks
Contributor

Success!!! Now how do you guys "garden"?

I just went on my first app spree ever! It took several years but now... I have 2 homes (1 is a rental property), and finally the cards I've been waiting years for. Thank you guys for all the info throughout the years! I just got approved all in 1 sitting for a AMEX Everyday Preferred, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Bank Americard CAL Alumni Card and a PNC Cash Builder Signature Visa. I basically doubled my previous CL with these 4 cards. So now my question is how do some of you maintain the expediture on all your cards in order to keep them open? I make a decent above average salary. 135k a year... with that said, I already have everything I need per se so I can't think of ways to use my card for the sake of "gardening" putting expenditures on it and then paying it off without feeling like I'm buying things I don't need. Beyond grocery's, gas and eating out... what else do you all use your card for, for the purpose of gardening?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Success!!! Now how do you guys "garden"?

@davidsawsparks wrote:

I just went on my first app spree ever! It took several years but now... I have 2 homes (1 is a rental property), and finally the cards I've been waiting years for. Thank you guys for all the info throughout the years! I just got approved all in 1 sitting for a AMEX Everyday Preferred, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Bank Americard CAL Alumni Card and a PNC Cash Builder Signature Visa. I basically doubled my previous CL with these 4 cards. So now my question is how do some of you maintain the expediture on all your cards in order to keep them open? I make a decent above average salary. 135k a year... with that said, I already have everything I need per se so I can't think of ways to use my card for the sake of "gardening" putting expenditures on it and then paying it off without feeling like I'm buying things I don't need. Beyond grocery's, gas and eating out... what else do you all use your card for, for the purpose of gardening?

The question i would ask is what do i "not" put on my cc :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 19
davidsawsparks
Contributor

I've always wanted high credit limits... now that I have them... it sort of makes me nervous.

Message 3 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

I've always wanted high credit limits... now that I have them... it sort of makes me nervous.

my short answer is just buy what you would buy if you had cash , but use cc obviously since you will get points or cash back lol

Message 4 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@davidsawsparks wrote:

my short answer is just buy what you would buy if you had cash , but use cc obviously since you will get points or cash back lol

Naaa You should be like most young Adults and Rack up Debt!!!! 

Kidding aside +1    Though you can go over your planned spending limit if you can handle it and have a 0% APR to carry a balance and you can pay at least $100 a month on the balance 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 19
davidsawsparks
Contributor

That's basically my question... aside from charging my usual monthly expenses on a cc and then paying them off with cash I already have... what else do you guys purchase in order to keep the cards active. Eventually you'll either end up buying unnecessary things or racking up debt for the sake of chasing rewards or trying to keep your other cards from being closed due to inactivity.

Message 6 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

That's basically my question... aside from charging my usual monthly expenses on a cc and then paying them off with cash I already have... what else do you guys purchase in order to keep the cards active. Eventually you'll either end up buying unnecessary things or racking up debt for the sake of chasing rewards or trying to keep your other cards from being closed due to inactivity.

Buy a pack of Gum or in my case buy $0.50 Amazon gift cards to myself with a credit card i don't use lol. Reminds me i should use my Amazon visa card soon

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 7 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

put an recurring charge on their like netflix , psn, xbl or gym membership . 

Message 8 of 19
yfan
Valued Contributor

@davidsawsparks wrote:

First off, I wouldn't worry THAT much about putting something on every card every month. You have the cards you want, and you know your own spending. Use the cards in a way most beneficial to you. If you don't use a card for a few months because you are using a different card with a high reward category that quarter, that is perfectly fine. If, on the other hand you have a card you NEVER use, it might as well be closed down (unless it is your oldest account). You can make up the CL by requesting regular CLIs with your active cards.

To answer your question, I purchase nothing I otherwise wouldn't just so I can keep this card active or that one from closing down. But all my cards have a purpose. That's why I got them. Some are only used may be 4-6 months out of the year, but so what? I am under no obligation to help banks collect swipe fees.

Message 9 of 19
drkaje
Senior Contributor

When I first laid off CC Apps, anytime the urge hit I'd just read the posts of people who apply a lot.

I'm pretty much cured of the itch but it feels good knowing that certain people will always be there for me. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.