Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success in Negotiating Lower APRs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Success in Negotiating Lower APRs?

How many of you have had success when calling to lower the APRs on your cards?

A couple months back I tried lowering the APRs on my B of A Visas through online chat with no luck. Next I tried calling the customer support line. Originally, the CSR gave me the whole "your account is automatically up for review every six months blah blah" spiel. I asked to speak to a manager, and eventually I was able to reduce the APRs on both cards.

My Platinum Plus Visa was reduced from 14.24% to 12.99%, and my Cash Rewards Visa was reduced from 22.99 to 19.99%. I plan on calling to try and drop the Cash Rewards rate again in a few months.

My brother-in-law tried the same thing with his US Bank cards with no luck. They were absolutely not willing to budge one inch.

Anyone had luck with particular banks or cards? Conversely, has anyone politely been told to kick rocks?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Success in Negotiating Lower APRs?

Only luck i have had was with my Elan card. Got "close" with Discover, they said i need to wait till my promo is ended then ask again.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 9
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

Believe it or not, Capital One has granted me an APR reduction via the EO. Smiley Happy

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is an EO?

Message 4 of 9
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is an EO?

Executive Office

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 9
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

I got 4% APR reduction on each of my Sallie Mae Mastercard and Citi Dividend cards. Discover offered me a choice between 2% permanent reduction or 12 months of 0% promo, I chose the latter. Cap One only offers a 4% temporary reduction, need to go to the EO. All this happened last week.
Message 6 of 9
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

In response to this thread, I went ahead and live chatted Discover, went from 17.99 to 16.24 in about 2 minutes total. Super easy with Discover. If I remember other threads correctly, AMEX is similiar. 

Good luck Smiley Happy

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtime_lurker wrote:

In response to this thread, I went ahead and live chatted Discover, went from 17.99 to 16.24 in about 2 minutes total. Super easy with Discover. If I remember other threads correctly, AMEX is similiar. 

Good luck Smiley Happy

Awesome! We sometimes get so caught up in perfecting our credit score for future cards/loans that we forget about saving money today (myself included) Smiley Very Happy.

Message 8 of 9
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Admittedly, I'm very lucky to not have CC debt right now, and if I did, it would definitely be on my CU CC (no BT fees and 8.9% fixed). However, lowering Discover in particular is a semi priority to me, because I know their lowest rate for the IT is quoted at 10.99. For a rewards card, that is the lowest APR that I have seen (even my CU's rewards card's - straight 1% - tier 1 interest rate is 13.9%)

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.