cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success rate for Amex 3 times their SL CLI?

tag
boober
Frequent Contributor

Success rate for Amex 3 times their SL CLI?

Just curious how many people have tried for and gotten a CLI after opening their cards. Doesn't have to be the 3 times CLI (that everyone but me seems to get?).

Personally when I got my 2 new Amex's 7 months ago, SL's were 10K and 1k.

Within a few days or so of getting those cards, I asked for I think it was 3 times my SL's. Got denied and have been denied any and all requests I've made since. Smiley Sad

I dunno, it just seems like everyone's successful at getting CLI's with their Amex's. Wondering how true that is. So please share your success rate with CLI's and your Amex.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Success rate for Amex 3 times their SL CLI?

My initial limit on my Amex Hilton Surpass was $12K. After 120 days I asked for $36K and they countered with $30K.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's generally a crap shoot but the consensus seems to be that you should wait until the 61st day after approval to request the CLI. You said you got the card 7 months ago and requested a few days after getting the cards. When were your most recent requests?
Message 3 of 6
boober
Frequent Contributor

I had read that you should try for the 3x CLI right after you're approved for the card. At least that's what I recall reading back when I applied.

My most recent request was a few days ago and haven't heard back yet.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@boober wrote:

I had read that you should try for the 3x CLI right after you're approved for the card. At least that's what I recall reading back when I applied.

Whether you should try upon activation is really up to you.  Ultimately it's not a big difference between doing it then or waiting a couple months.  I hope you realize that once you try for a CLI and are denied for the first time that you have to wait another 90 days before trying again.  Otherwise you will automatically be denied.

Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@boober wrote:

Whether you should try upon activation is really up to you.  Ultimately it's not a big difference between doing it then or waiting a couple months.  I hope you realize that once you try for a CLI and are denied for the first time that you have to wait another 90 days before trying again.  Otherwise you will automatically be denied.

OP, I hope you realize the AMEX CLI process is rather well defined as far as when you can, when you can't, when the computer will box you out, from getting a CLI?

It sounds like your initial approvals went for $10k then $1k. If this is the case, you had hit your internal credit limt at AMEX at that time. A request for a CLI at activation would not be promising.

As noted, after you request a CLI and it is denied, it's a 90 days wait.

After you get any CLI approved, it's a 6 month wait.

What is your usage of the cards? How much of the $1k limit are you using?

Good luck with the CLI request. With AMEX, it never hurts to use the card more, wait a little longer before making the CLI request. With good usage and payment history, the CLI will come eventually, but it's not a Luv button like at Discover and CapOne where you just keep pressing it until something happens. AMEX takes time.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.