Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Success with Cap1 EO - Account Bonus

tag
matthew2115
New Contributor

Success with Cap1 EO - Account Bonus

Just thought I'd share, I just had a great experience with CapOne's EO.  I had a Visa Platinum card with them that started as a student card 13 years ago.  (One of my first cards!)  I have kept it minimally active over the years to preserve the open line.  Recently, I got an offer through the "Modify my Features" option on their site to convert it either into a QuickSilver or VentureOne.  I went with the QS and was within minutes able to see the cashback benefits on my account.  Now, I know that they offer a $100 opening bonus after $500 spend for all new accounts, so I figured I'd try my luck asking for them to give me that offer as well.

I reached out via secure message:

"Good afternoon,

I recently converted my old Visa Platinum card to Quicksilver via the

Modify My Features tool online. I was thrilled to be offered this

option - the QS is a fantastic card and now I'll be using that account

all the time for the 1.5% cash back. I noticed that you currently have

an offer for new accounts for a $100 bonus after spending $500, and I

was wondering if there's any way my new Quicksilver card (xxxx) could be

enrolled in this offer? I've been a loyal card member for 13 years, and

it would be fantastic if Capital One could offer me the same reward

opportunity as a brand new customer.

Thanks!"

Their response:

"Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

For your convenience we have added the option for you to see your

rewards account details and redemption options online. From the Benefits

tab you will find the link, "Rewards Summary." Once you click on the

link you can choose from “Explore Rewards” or “Earn More Rewards”."

:-/  Facepalm.  So... ok, not what I asked at all.  So I write back:

"Thanks for your response, but it doesn't answer my question. Are you

able to offer me the $100 account opening bonus on my new Quicksilver?"

Their response:

"Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

We reflect that your account ending xxxx currently not enrolled in Bonus

program."

I know I'm not enrolled in a bonus.  I'm asking to be enrolled.  At this point, I decided to email the CEO and ask for a straight answer:
"Good afternoon,

I have been trying to get an answer from your customer service department on a pretty straightforward question, but seem to be going in circles.  (Please see the attached messages.)
I recently upgraded my Platinum card, which I have held for 13 years now, to the Quicksilver.  I'm thrilled with this - the QS is a great card!   I would simply like to know if you are willing to offer me the same bonus incentive that you would offer a new customer.
I look forward to your response."

They responded in short order asking me to call in to verify some account information.  I did so, and was told they would call me back to discuss my question.  (The rep who was assigned my case had already left for the day).  OK.

So, a few days later, I still don't have a call back.  I called in again today and asked for the guy handling my case.  I was put on hold, and then told that he was on another call but would call me back right away.  At this point, I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get this resolved.

15 minutes later, the phone rings and it's him.  "Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I wanted to get everything in order on this end.  Thanks for your loyalty, I've gone ahead and just credited your account $100."

Woohoo!  I was not expecting to get the bonus offer without a bit of a fight, let alone just a straight up credit for no spending at all!  I took the opportunity to thank him profusely, and to also chat with him about putting through a CLI.  He sent that over to the credit department and says he'll call me back when they respond in a few days.

EX08: 841 | TU08: 841
EQ08 (Bankcard Enhanced) 844 (out of 900)
FAKO TU: 803
Vantage 3.0 - TU: 817 - EQ: 818
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.