Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful app!! Now what do I do?

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Successful app!! Now what do I do?

I agree with some of the others, apply for some type of GE store card. They are very generous with CLIs.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 21 of 32
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey LB!

I this is a really wise decision!  I was pretty much in the same boat as you regarding scores (620 in 04/11 then jumped to 642 after CU card approval)and CCs about 1.7-1.8 years ago.  Got approved for a 5.4K limit CU card and everything has been up hill since.  Got my baddies removed and waited a few months and my score skyrocketed.  I then apped Prime and they all beat my CU CL upon approval.  (It also helped me a LOT that Amex backedated some real age to my accounts).  It was sweet!  Patience is a golden.  I bet you find that after your CU card reports and some time is there with a high limit card, you'll be approved with great starting limits.  Let the CU card be the catalyst to Primeville!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 22 of 32
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey LB!

I this is a really wise decision!  I was pretty much in the same boat as you regarding scores (620 in 04/11 then jumped to 642 after CU card approval)and CCs about 1.7-1.8 years ago.  Got approved for a 5.4K limit CU card and everything has been up hill since.  Got my baddies removed and waited a few months and my score skyrocketed.  I then apped Prime and they all beat my CU CL upon approval.  (It also helped me a LOT that Amex backedated some real age to my accounts).  It was sweet!  Patience is golden.  I bet you find that after your CU card reports and some time is there with a high limit card, you'll be approved with great starting limits.  Let the CU card be the catalyst to Primeville!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 23 of 32
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@mmmagique wrote:

I love Amazon, and the certain amount of months with no AF depending on how much you spend at one time. I don't have the numbers in front of me, and for right now it doesn't matter that much because I've been PIF; but it's nice to know that if I need a new laptop or some other largish purchase, that I can do that and have a little breathing room. : )

We also have Amazon Prime, which is amazing! Most items are here with free shipping in two days (or less!) and if I NEED it the next day, we pay 3.99 for next day shipping! (we've had some huge and heavy items delivered absolutely free with our Amazon Prime. It's been really good to us.)

yeah, I actually like my Amazon Card too. Purchased my IPad and financed it for the 6-month period no interest

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 24 of 32
Lzzybeth
New Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey LB!

I this is a really wise decision!  I was pretty much in the same boat as you regarding scores (620 in 04/11 then jumped to 642 after CU card approval)and CCs about 1.7-1.8 years ago.  Got approved for a 5.4K limit CU card and everything has been up hill since.  Got my baddies removed and waited a few months and my score skyrocketed.  I then apped Prime and they all beat my CU CL upon approval.  (It also helped me a LOT that Amex backedated some real age to my accounts).  It was sweet!  Patience is a golden.  I bet you find that after your CU card reports and some time is there with a high limit card, you'll be approved with great starting limits.  Let the CU card be the catalyst to Primeville!

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing that!! I'm going to be going back through your forum history if you don't mind. Thank you, thank you!

It's great to know that I'm on the right path and hopefully others will benefit from this thread.

Garden Club Challenge: App Free Since 5/01/2021 and
No Apps Until 6/15/2022
Message 25 of 32
Lzzybeth
New Contributor

@Sparkz1920 wrote:

@mmmagique wrote:

I love Amazon, and the certain amount of months with no AF depending on how much you spend at one time. I don't have the numbers in front of me, and for right now it doesn't matter that much because I've been PIF; but it's nice to know that if I need a new laptop or some other largish purchase, that I can do that and have a little breathing room. : )

We also have Amazon Prime, which is amazing! Most items are here with free shipping in two days (or less!) and if I NEED it the next day, we pay 3.99 for next day shipping! (we've had some huge and heavy items delivered absolutely free with our Amazon Prime. It's been really good to us.)

yeah, I actually like my Amazon Card too. Purchased my IPad and financed it for the 6-month period no interest

I'm leaning the most heavily towards the Amazon Card simply because of how much online shopping I already do with them. This is a definite a check in the "pro" column for going with an Amazon Card over JC Penney!

No Apps Until 6/15/2022
Message 26 of 32
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@Lzzybeth wrote:

SUCCESS!!!

I went into my credit union this morning and was approved for a $5,000 MasterCard. This is the first credit card I've had in many, many years. I'm very happy and grateful to my credit union, University Federal Credit Union in Austin, TX.

I think I have somewhat conflicting goals for next year and would appreciate your input on my next steps.

2013 Plans

• Home Purchase : Fall or Winter of 2013
  • Prime Credit Card : Amex or Chase

Do I APP for another credit card today, such as Amazon store or department store? This way, I take the inquiry hits now and also have 2 positive tradelines showing in 6 months. At that time, I can consider whether to APP for a prime card.

Or do I garden for 6 months and see what the new credit card does for my score? 

Do you think this APP plan will have any effect on my larger goal of purchasing a home in a little over a year?

I'll admit, my trigger finger is feeling a little itchy due to this morning's success. However, I've been waiting this long for my credit to improve and I know there's no harm in waiting a little longer. I just like to know what you'd do in my place.

Thanks for your time and I'm so glad to have found this forum!!

I do not think a store card is a good move, it affects your AAoA however it doesn't get factored into your utilization ratio (at least my Macys card does not).  Since you have under 3-5 inquiries right now, I say you should try to get two more prime cards after your credit union credit card reports successful usage for two or more months, since one of the reason for being denied maybe lack of current usage of a major credit card. Also your fico scores look good enough for entry level prime cards and in two+ months your score will for sure go up very nicely.  Congrats on the master card!

Message 27 of 32
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

If you are going to apply, apply now then wait your year to get your mortgage.  Don't wait six months to apply for another card.  The hit you take from hard pull lasts only a year, and having two accounts age for a year before you apply for the mortgage will be better for your score at the time.

On the other hand, if you keep your credit to just the one card you have now -- garden it intensely.  Make sure you pay either on time or before the statement date and keep your overall usage of the card to less than 10% per month.  The credit scores you may pull between now and your mortgage mean very little.  It is only the the credit score pulled in the month you apply for the mortgage that is going to mean anything.

Or third, you could garden your accounts for a longer period and wait for a slightly better score and opportunity to get the house you really want.

Lastly, I have never seen the wisdom of getting a store card - PERIOD.  Some people shop a lot a a particular store and this give them some reward points or something but most store cards come with higher interest rates and practically every store is going to take a major vendor card (M/C, VISA, AMEX) so why limit yourself with a store's credit card.  Like I said... I just don't get it.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 28 of 32
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@angelnyc wrote:

I do not think a store card is a good move, it affects your AAoA however it doesn't get factored into your utilization ratio (at least my Macys card does not).  Since you have under 3-5 inquiries right now, I say you should try to get two more prime cards after your credit union credit card reports successful usage for two or more months, since one of the reason for being denied maybe lack of current usage of a major credit card. Also your fico scores look good enough for entry level prime cards and in two+ months your score will for sure go up very nicely.  Congrats on the master card!

Macy's stopped reporting CLs many years ago; however over the last several months they have begun reporting limits for their cardholders again. Almost all other CCs will report the CL, with the exception of "Signature Visa" (some do and some don't), "World MC" (some do, some don't) and Charge cards (e.g. Amex Zync, Green, Gold, Plat). And there are some hidden TLs (e.g. Bill Me Later). All other CLs will be incl in your util.

Mid 600s FICO isn't high enough for most prime cards, and any approvals would likely have very low, toy limits.

In general, I agree about not sinking your AAoA w/ a bunch of store cards. However, getting 1 or 2 when rebuilding can help to establish positive tradelines and also help w/util.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 29 of 32
Lzzybeth
New Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Mid 600s FICO isn't high enough for most prime cards, and any approvals would likely have very low, toy limits.

In general, I agree about not sinking your AAoA w/ a bunch of store cards. However, getting 1 or 2 when rebuilding can help to establish positive tradelines and also help w/util.

Yup, that was my thinking and that's why I'm not going to use a HP for a prime card until I have a better chance of being approved.

Whatever my 2nd card ends up being, it'll be the last APP I submit for at least 6 months if not a year. That's why I'm taking some time to cool my heels before applying again.

No Apps Until 6/15/2022
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.