Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sucking me back in: BofA and WAMU/Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sucking me back in: BofA and WAMU/Chase

I had every intent of closing my BofA and WaMu/Chase No Rewards cards today.

BofA refused to do a product change up until today - I've been requesting for months - of my old MBNA card and they screwd me on a BT and didn't give me the promo I applied for at 0%; I think it was due to their system glitch, but they are blaming it on me and saying I didn't do the form right and now I'm getting a 5.9% BT - which is a lie and it pissing me off. So, I called today to finally cancel and I plan to BT the balance to my Chase Sapphire. Well....they finally offered me a product change to a UPromise card, with 10% cash back on groceries...which is great for my student loans!!! However, I'm still pissed and I don't want to accept it! They've treated me like crap the past two years! I despise their customer service...but, what a good deal. I'm torn?!

As for Chase, I just didn't need the WaMu-based card and I figured they would cancel it anyways...also, I've requested product changes on several occasions to no avail! Well, tonight they did it to a Chase Freedom and I'm keeping my 8.24 APR....I accepted. I figure the rotating awards will compliment the new Sapphire...I'm such a sucker...

So, now I have 8 cards...maybe minus a BofA...errrhhh.

Message Edited by Pj1369 on 07-17-2009 11:49 PM
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Sucking me back in: BofA and WAMU/Chase

Accept victory graciously, even if belated.
Message 2 of 22
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

Those are good deals, just roll with them.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had every intent of closing my BofA and WaMu/Chase No Rewards cards today.

BofA refused to do a product change up until today - I've been requesting for months - of my old MBNA card and they screwd me on a BT and didn't give me the promo I applied for at 0%; I think it was due to their system glitch, but they are blaming it on me and saying I didn't do the form right and now I'm getting a 5.9% BT - which is a lie and it pissing me off. So, I called today to finally cancel and I plan to BT the balance to my Chase Sapphire. Well....they finally offered me a product change to a UPromise card, with 10% cash back on groceries...which is great for my student loans!!! However, I'm still pissed and I don't want to accept it! They've treated me like crap the past two years! I despise their customer service...but, what a good deal. I'm torn?!

As for Chase, I just didn't need the WaMu-based card and I figured they would cancel it anyways...also, I've requested product changes on several occasions to no avail! Well, tonight they did it to a Chase Freedom and I'm keeping my 8.24 APR....I accepted. I figure the rotating awards will compliment the new Sapphire...I'm such a sucker...

So, now I have 8 cards...maybe minus a BofA...errrhhh.

Message Edited by Pj1369 on 07-17-2009 11:49 PM

Emotional decisions ( "I'm still pissed" ) are almost always the wrong decision.  Recognize that and make rationale financial decisions that help you in the long run.  We can't always get what we want, right when we want it, and this is the basis of the timeless cliche, "patience is a virtue."

Don't cancel the card....don't throw away 10% which is essentially "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Of course, we are not telling you anything you don't know, you just need to cool down and look at the facts, and forget the rest.  Smiley Wink

Congrats and good luck in you endeavors!

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-18-2009 07:50 AM
Message 4 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

txjohn wrote:  Emotional decisions ( "I'm still pissed" ) are almost always the wrong decision.  Recognize that and make rationale financial decisions that help you in the long run.  We can't always get what we want, right when we want it, and this is the basis of the timeless cliche, "patience is a virtue."

Good advice, for sure.  I just got an offer for 0% APR,  0% transaction fees with convenience checks on an account I haven't used for almost a year, but did not close.  I am about to renew our friendship.

Arbitrage, here I come again!   

Message 5 of 22
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

txjohn wrote:  Emotional decisions ( "I'm still pissed" ) are almost always the wrong decision.  Recognize that and make rationale financial decisions that help you in the long run.  We can't always get what we want, right when we want it, and this is the basis of the timeless cliche, "patience is a virtue."

Good advice, for sure.  I just got an offer for 0% APR,  0% transaction fees with convenience checks on an account I haven't used for almost a year, but did not close.  I am about to renew our friendship.

From whom? Who do I have to freeze out to get this?

Message 6 of 22
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Ready...?  It came from...

Cap One!

Message 7 of 22
score_building
Senior Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

From whom? Who do I have to freeze out to get this?

ROTFL
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 22
score_building
Senior Contributor

nice Uborrow!  they sure wouldn't have been my first guess, lol.  they seem to be laying pretty low at present.

i am currently utilizing a 6 mos zero percent offer from them.  had the card for 8+ yrs and this is the first time i challenged my toy limit by attempting a bt offer from them... of course they raised my regular apr a couple of mos after the bt which doesn't matter since i don't typically revolve on the acct.

to OP- no doubt you'll share the wisdom displayed in PP.  letting go of resentment when things turn around for the better can be effortless and rewarding.  or you might look at it this way- it'd prolly be even harder to count their virtues if they were still tryin' to shaft ya Smiley Happy

glad to hear the pendulum has swung back in your favor!  'big boys' like boa and chase can be rather mercurial and i guess if you're up for the ride it can still be rewarding.

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Cap One!

Message Edited by score_building on 07-19-2009 06:55 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 22
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Cap One!

This is not surprising/ Cap1 has a sordid history of doing anything to promote usage.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.