Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suffering from apping withdrawal :-(

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Suffering for apping withdrawal :-(

Get over it real quick or you may find your current FICO score closer to your beginning FICO score.   Do not hurt your AAoAs!  When I learned about AAoAs that was enough to deter me from apping for credit.  I just play the CLI game now. 

Message 11 of 15
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Hey DI. I did wind up apping for a discover to replace my last subprime card with an af, and was approved. I know my AAoA may suffer, it's only 3 yrs right now, but I figured it would be better in the long run, vs paying another af, especially since I don't play on apping anything eles anytime soon. I didn't get an alert on my score watch. (Don't know if not getting an alert means anything)Now I am done, but how do I play the cli game? Do you think I made a mistake by apping  discover so soon? Maybe I should have waited, I got approved for a BofA sig in dec to replace the other orchard card, but found out after they don't report limits. But I figured this was as good a time as ever since my last baddie had come off.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 15
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

motiv8ted, normally i would agree with di that credit grardening is queen, but in your case, you have very good/great scores, and you had subprime cards that needed to go. subprime cards are great to have in the beginning when you are in "red hole" so to speak, but there is a time for everything and dumping those cards are the best thing you can do. in the short term, you might lower your average open AAoA, and have new accounts reporting, but in a year from now you will thank yourself happily. you will think back to yourself, boy, i am glad i did that.

any lender that manually reviews your credit file is going to look positively at that decision. if i was a lender, i would feel more confident in you, as i see you have more confidence in yourself. as i said before, up to three apps, as you have already done the 1 limit eq pull if you live on the east coast.

i am happy you decided to app for discover. how much is your limit and what is your non-introductory apr? 

(i feel sorry for anyone that feels he or she needs to have a first premier card, as orchard or public is the right way to start out)

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 13 of 15
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Hey scottwagnon, thanks for your input. My limit is $2k and the none intro rate is 18%Smiley Indifferent But I almost never carry a balance so I'm okay with that.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 15
DI
Super Contributor

Being able to relace subprime AF cards with Prime cards is always a good decision.  Now that you have a Discover card it's time to let those cards mature.  Playing the credit limit increase game is just waiting every 6 months to ask for a CLI while continuing to make charges and paying in full. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.